Funky looking krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastyboys

Reaction score
Alright so for Christmas my brother gave me a Brewer's Best milk stout kit and I just got around to brewing it about two weeks ago. It came with Nottingham dry yeast but my previous experiences with Nottingham haven't been the best. I got some WLP001 at the recommendation of my LHBS. Everything has gone fine so far but my krausen has left a, well, milky looking residue. I am more curious than worried as it doesn't look like any sort of mold or anything. But what could it be? It looks like the yeast before it was pitched honestly, and if it is yeast should I try and swirl the carboy to wash em down? Any info would be appreciated!

IMG_1420[1].jpg

IMG_1421[1].jpg

Thats about as normal as it gets. Its just Yeast and krausen crud. Leave it alone -- the krausen crud is real nasty tasting and you don't want it back into your beer.

+1: normal. Don't slosh it around. No need to do anything with it. When you rack to your keg/bottling bucket, that will stay on the side of the carboy and you can remove it when cleaning.

Thanks everyone! I'm just real new to this and this is my first time using liquid yeast. Previously the Nottingham didn't really leave anything but the brown behind. But I will take your advice DocScott and let it be.

As a side note, I brewed that same kit and it was delicious! Cheers!

As a side note, I brewed that same kit and it was delicious! Cheers!

I really hope so! My last batch was Northern Brewer's White House honey porter and it was...ehh...not so good. Then again i think i may have fermented a couple degrees too warm. But I absolutely love stouts so I can't see where this could not be delicious! Cheers!:mug:

Back