Question about The Beer Connoisseur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vhanley

Reaction score
So, my lovely wife, God bless her, using the knowledge that I love beer, bought.....something....from Groupon from The Beer Connoisseur website that actually doesn't state what the heck it is. I THINK it's a magazine subscription (OK, cool), but it doesn't say. I HOPE it's not a website subscription (because that's free on their site).

They have a section titled "beer school" which essentially tells you how to "properly appreciate beer." Not much of a "school" there for a brewer.

Does anybody ever use this site/magazine? Is this going to be useful to a brewer, or is it going to be more of an "entertainment" magazine?

Looks more like entertainment. Sorry.

I glanced at the "Club" membership and frankly I'm not sure what it is they are selling. "Virtual Camaraderie?" I have no idea what that is, but it sounds an awful lot like what we have here.

That said, it was free and it was a nice gesture.

It's a magazine subscription. My girlfriend bought me this last autumn. BC is a nice magazine, but much more akin to Cigar Aficionado than to BYO or Zymurgy. Also, it only publishes quarterly, I believe, and is fairly thin for such a long cycle. That said, I get the impression that it's the baby of a very small group of people, and lacks heavy financial backing.

It's a magazine subscription. My girlfriend bought me this last autumn. BC is a nice magazine, but much more akin to Cigar Aficionado than to BYO or Zymurgy. Also, it only publishes quarterly, I believe, and is fairly thin for such a long cycle. That said, I get the impression that it's the baby of a very small group of people, and lacks heavy financial backing.

Lifetime subscriber here (which may have been a mistake). I spoke with some of the reps at GABF a few years back, and you're right it's their attempt at a beer version of "Cigar Aficionado." It's supposed to be published quarterly, but I think they may have some funding issues that affected that schedule. There was recently a gap of 2 quarters between issues, and the quality of the materials used has noticeably gone down. That was in addition to the diminished volume of content compared to previous issues.

Latest posts

Back