Using Star San warm / hot... More or less effective?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiamiBeer

Reaction score
Curious if anyone knows if there are any advantages or disadvantages to using Star San warm or hot? I know PBW is more effective at hotter temps. But for Star San would that enhance or detract from its sanitizer capabilities? Just a waste of heating power?

Use as Directed:

Homebrew use: Thoroughly wash all surfaces with detergent or a compatible cleaner, followed by a potable water rinse before application of sanitizing solution. Prepare a use solution of 1 oz. of Star San per 5 gallons of tap water. Apply on surfaces with a cloth mop, sponge, spray or by a 5 minute immersion. For spray applications, use a course mist, with pump or trigger spray. Spray 6 to 8 inches from surface; rub with a brush, cloth or sponge. With spray, cover or remove all food products. For all applications, allow to air dry, however surfaces must remain wet for at least one minute.
Do not rinse after Star San application.

Hot water not necessary

Yeah, I'm familiar with the directions. But I am curious if anyone has input about using it above the standard room temperature and how that affects it?

heat generally allows water to disolve things better, it reduces the viscosity of oils, increases the solubility of a lot of substances, kills bacteria, etc.

heat will not deactivate starsan, so there are no negatives to using hot starsan over room temp starsan. it may even help the sanitizing power a small amount. its not necessary to use hot starsan though.

I can see where after your PBW wash you would rinse down and then fill your BK with water and boil it then run that through the chiller to rinse it/pasteurize then add Star San to what water remains in the BK (which would be hot) and run that through also just for sanitization confidence. I would run the hot star san into a empty keg From the chiller and have it for repeat use down the line.

This question was answered by 5Star in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/what-sanitisers-and-cleaners-are-used.43688/page-9:
Star San High Foaming Acid Anionic
1. Star San is an effective sanitizer at 3.5 PH or below. The best method to ensure effectiveness is to check with PH strips prior to use.
2. If your Star San goes cloudy, that is an indication that the PH is rising. To combat this you can try sweetening your mix with a little more Star San. Always check the PH again prior to use.
3. If you use RO or DI water and a closed container your Star San will stay effective for a VERY long time. Highly recommended.

4. Use 50 to 120 degree Fahrenheit water
5. NO RINSE (Don't Fear the Foam!)​

I switched over to Star San over 10 year ago. Always have used cold tap water with impeccable results.

Latest posts

Back