hop tea added to the keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I heard about a method of using a french coffee press and making hop tea to evaluate hop flavor. I have tried this a couple of times and found that there is bitterness extracted as well as flavor.

I had a belgian tripel that ended up with a high final gravity and Im wondering if I added a bunch of hop tea to balance the sweetness if this would be more palatable.

any thoughts?

People have used hop teas successfully to increase bitterness in a batch. More palatable? One can only experiment.

I have experimented quite a bit with both dry-hopping and hop teas. Here's my take:

- Both add hop aroma and some flavor.
- Both will change your beers taste immediately, and it won't be pleasant right away. Let the tea of dry hop work, and add a couple of weeks to mellow before drinking.
- If the hop tea is made with very hot/boiling water, there will be some bitterness added, although not as much as you think. Again, do not think you can add the tea and drink right away. It will change the flavor in a strange way. Let it sit for a couple of weeks.

That's my take! Hope it helps!

- Both will change your beers taste immediately, and it won't be pleasant right away.

That's good to hear... I was expecting magic immediately after dry hopping my belgian pale ale with 2oz of saaz, and it didn't seem quite right. It's been a week since the dry hopping, I guess I'll have to test it again.

Back