Trippel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicosiabrian

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a Belgian Tippel from Midwest, and I was looking for some good advice to make it taste amazing. I love the richness and fullness of triplets and don't want to be disappointed with a bad batch. Has anyone brewed that particular kit? If so is there anything that I should do that is not on the recipe?
Thanks

1) Late addition of 2/3 DME/LME
2) Full boil
3) Yeast Starter (Preferably stirplate)
4) O2 wort before pitching
5) Wort chiller
6) Cool to 70F before pitching
7) Proper controlled fermentation temp
8) Appropriate weighed priming sugar amt

Add in excellent sanitation and using fresh ingredients..... I think these will be the most accepted elements to elevate your extract beer

I'd second the late addition of a good portion of the extract. I do all partial boil brews and I do all my hop additions (except flameout) with just the runnings from the grain then add the extract about 5 minutes before boil is done. Extract has already been boiled when it's made, so you pretty much just have to heat it up to sanitize it and get it to incorporate properly. Since that kit uses a good amount of DME and a smaller amount of LME, you might start with the LME at the beginning and then add the DME towards the end.

That and butterpants' other suggestions are all great for pretty much any brew, not just for a tripel. That kit also includes a candi syrup. I'd save that and add it directly to the fermenter just as the ferment has peaked and is beginning to wind down. That'll give the yeast a chance to work through the maltos before giving it the simple sugars.

Would you guys recommend buying an Liquid Yeast instead of the dry yeast packet.

I prefer them but if you don't have the capability to make a starter or even better a stirplate starter you will need more than one packet to get a proper pitch rate for a high gravity tripel..... can get expensive. I just had a great experience with Wyeast 3787 and it's belgian/trappist in origin.

Dry yeasts are much easier to utilize and prepare not to mention cheaper but your options/styles are limited

Belgians are about great fermentation. Starter, Stirplate, Oxygen Injection are all valuable in optimizing Belgians (all beers, but especially Belgos).

Im hoping you have a few brews under your belt and this isn't your first beer. :mug:

Back