Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickN

Reaction score
I have been using Iodine. The question I have is if there is a better sanitizer for times when I need to clean say one air lock. Whenever I use Iodine I mix up a big batch of it because the proper ratio is the easiest to achieve that way.

Is there something else I could get to do small scale sanitizing?

The two most popular sanitizers we recommend are iodophor, which you're using and starsan. They BOTH can be mixed up for small amounts. They both can be stored for a period of time in a spray bottle with distilled water (though starsan will last months that way, and iodophors only a couple weeks.)

You can mix tiny amounts of both. Get yourself a children's medicine eye dropper and look for the dillution ratio of iodine for smaller amounts. I think it's like two ml per quart of water, to get the right parts per million, (but don't quote me on it, search for it.)

If you're happy with iodine based sanitizers there's no reason to switch, you just need to better effectively USE them....

I put a lot of good info and tips of effectively using sanitizers in here. Including a podcast by the creator of starsan, and one by a rep from iodophor talking about that and more-https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

Starsan and Iodophors are both wonderful sanitizers. I have both on hand. One is no better than the other. You just have to figure out which you prefer.

Latest posts

Back