DIPA critque/suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocScott

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing with a friend who is interested in getting into brewing and I asked him for a loose style preference and he wanted a "bigger IPA". Here's what I came up with.

16 lb Maris Otter
1 lb Crystal 10L
1 lb CaraPils
0.5 lb Honey Malt
1 lb sugar
==============
1 oz. Chinook (60min)
1 oz. Summit (30min)
0.5oz Falconer's flight (15min)
1 oz. Summit (10 min)
0.5oz Falconer's flight (5 min)
1-2 oz. Falconer's flight (dry hop)

Wyeast 1056 starter

Mash at 152* for 60 min, 90min boil. Ferment around 64*F
Estimated OG: 1.080 (70% efficiency)
Estimated FG: 1.018
Estimated ABV: 8.1%

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

I think the hop schedule itself looks good. I would however consider doubling up on all of your late additions and dryhops. Mash at 149 and cut the Crystal 10 by 1/2 lb.

6oz total for a double ipa is a touch low i think, whats the estimated bitterness? i agree with the above poster to pretty much double up on late & dry hops.

Thanks for the feedback thus far. IBUs come in at 94 according to my spreadsheet. The hops are mostly high AAs so boosts them up pretty quickly. I decided to undershoot the hops in this recipe a bit. I got a little scared off by a citra DIPA that I had last weekend at a small brewery I visited, that I felt was way too bitter(I didn't think it was possible to reach that point, but this beer did!). I think I agree that boosting the late additions would add a nice aroma/flavor without bittering it too far though. I appreciate any other suggestions!

Back