SG Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorbrew713

Reaction score
I'm making an Agave Wheat. I'm using a True Brew American Wheat recipe kit that calls for an OG of 1.049 - 1.051. I added app 10 oz of Agave with 10 minutes left in the boil, and then another 10 oz at flame out. Adjusted for temperature, my OG was 1.057.

I pitched my yeast at about 73 degrees, and got a lot of activity showing in the airlock early on, lasting about 3 days. Saturday will be 3 weeks in the fermenter. I checked the gravity this evening, and the recipe calls for a FG of 1.012 - 1.014. Adjusted for temp its currently at 1.017.

Here's the question, since it's about .003 above the recipe, but since the OG was about .006 above, does this sound right. Oh, and the sample really tasted good. I'm hoping to bottle Saturday, if everything sounds right, and if the SG stays consistent.

***edited to change 3 days in the fermenter to 3 weeks ***

You will probably see another few points drop over the next several days as the yeast finish up. I'd recommend at least 2 weeks in the primary before bottling. If you can wait 3 weeks that would be even better. You'll get a much cleaner tasting beer.

I assume you mean 3 weeks in the fermenter.

I don't think the agarve syrup should have no effect on your final gravity since I believe it is 100% fermentable.

You pitched at 73 F, but what temperature did you keep the beer at. If the temperature is too low for the yest it might have stalled before finishing. If that is the case, just move it to a warmer location and the yeast will wake up.

Warm it up. If it is still 1.017 on Saturday, then I would say you are probably OK to bottle. If the gravity has dropped, then you should probably leave it another week.

Back