Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the kind consideration to hide your pipe behind your back... ;) some pipe tobacco does smell really nice! I pretty much can tell when someone's smoking a pipe or cigar. I am used to cigars and pipe in the past. Thanks!

On another note... I've been living with a Navy man that calls for lots of drinking (all types, beer included), cigar smoking and pipe tobacco... definately exposed and used to it.

Having myself a touch of buyers remorse. Took delivery of the rather large order of tabacco I recently placed. All very good stuff.

In light of my continued attempt to quit smoking cigarettes I find myself at odds with my pipes too.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Having myself a touch of buyers remorse. Took delivery of the rather large order of tabacco I recently placed. All very good stuff.

In light of my continued attempt to quit smoking cigarettes I find myself at odds with my pipes too.

Ship it to me. I'll dispose of it properly.

Considering that. I'm really surprised at how many of these blends have the same look and tin aroma as Balkan Sasieni, a great smoke, but has a very acrid tin aroma.

4 of the tins I ordered were on backorder. After repackaging the ones I got last night, I cancelled the back order. Gonna take me forever to smoke all this.

Considering that. I'm really surprised at how many of these blends have the same look and tin aroma as Balkan Sasieni, a great smoke, but has a very acrid tin aroma.

4 of the tins I ordered were on backorder. After repackaging the ones I got last night, I cancelled the back order. Gonna take me forever to smoke all this.

That's just the danger with this kind of stuff, you order and then it arrives and you have that holy crap moment...its like dealing with CBid, you innocently go on to pick up a 5 pack of AF Hemingways and the following week you end up with a shipment of 30 sticks. The good thing with sticks and leaf is that they are happy to sit and age for years if you are slow to get to them :).

Rant on :drunk:

I don't want to sound like an A$$ but probably will.

For me, I don't need a whole lot of variety once I find something I like.

That's the same with pretty much anything in life.

In regards to this HBT thread and the forum in general. I have my favorites, most people do. We all have two or three pipe tobaccos, 2-3 beer types, same for steak, engine oil, and power saws and anything else for that matter. I seem too always go back to one consistently. Not all the time but enough to make it the old comfortable one.

Doesn't mean the others are not good. I just have my favorites. To each their own.

PS... This is a rant, do what you want. It's what I do...

Rant off :mug:

In regards to this HBT thread and the forum in general. I have my favorites, most people do. We all have two or three pipe tobaccos, 2-3 beer types, same for steak, engine oil, and power saws and anything else for that matter. I seem too always go back to one consistently. Not all the time but enough to make it the old comfortable one.

Doesn't mean the others are not good. I just have my favorites. To each their own.

Curiosity gets the best of me. I want to try them all before I settle myself on a select few. I tend to be very selective, yet, never backing away from something new.

True dat. I have the same 3 women I keep sleeping with. No point in trying any new poontang. Just don't tell my wife.

I found about a 1/4 ounce pipe tobacco today in the bottom of my pipe holder. It's called Spartacus. I think I must have bought it maybe 3-4 years ago from John T's. I am not sure if it is the Savinelli pipe which is getting quite well broken in and I'm now using the balsa filter, or if the John T's Spartucus is just awesome.

I tried to find a description of it on the net.. no luck. It is dark and brown tobacco. Creamy, cool, smooth and just slightly sweet. At this point it is blowing away, well almost blowing away the VA #1.

Seems as though years ago I spent some time testing out tobaccos and found ones I loved and was either too lazy to toss them or forsighted enough to keep a few around. Now two more are back again. Wonder what else I forgot about? Ha!

Just got an estate pipe off eBay. Looks to be in great condition. I haven't ordered any tobacco yet and would like some advice. Back in the day a buddy let me try a cherry vanilla blend out of his hooka and I was amazing. I would like to find a mild cherry blend for my first smoke. Could anyone shoot me a good recommendation of a tobacco and a good place to order online since we are without a good smoke shop around here

image-2006405960.jpg

I've gotten all of my pipes off of ebay. You can find some awesome estate pipes there. I started with Prince Albert, captain black and carter hall. Borkum and riff have a cherry one, however it's not that great and burns Hot. There is a site out there for pipe tobacco reviews. A quick search on google and you'll be able to find it.

Hey Lex990

A decent inexpensive tobacco to try is a Prince Albert one. Found at most drug stores. He has a few blends. You can buy one of them blindly. It will be a nice smoke!

Cheers!

Hey Lex990

A decent inexpensive tobacco to try is a Prince Albert one. Found at most drug stores. He has a few blends. You can buy one of them blindly. It will be a nice smoke!

Cheers!

I second that. Also, Captain Black. Can't go wrong with either of those, pick a blend that sounds appealing and give it a try.

Will be placing a tobacco order with Boswell here soon. Anyone want an ounce of anything for a trade?

Dan (NB)

The Cream Ale and Amber ale were fabulous! (it's been written a guy can use that word with out losing his man card when describing beer) Sorry so late to respond.

Spent most of last night working on my brew stand. It's nothing fancy, about 70 bucks in wood. I built it single tier which would have been great if I was all electric but it isn't. It didn't look right.. no flow. So I tore it apart lastnight and redesigned. I'll use a chugger pump to transfer the fluids around.

Does anybody know of a good pipe repair place? I have a Nording 825, apple bowl, straight stem.

Beautiful pipe, smokes really well. I've bit through the stem and there is now a V where my tooth should bite down. I looked up Nording online, they are made in Denmark but I couldn't find their website.

Would really like to have it repaired by the makers but will go with a US guy if he is reputable.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Dan

Dan (NB)

The Cream Ale and Amber ale were fabulous! (it's been written a guy can use that word with out losing his man card when describing beer) Sorry so late to respond.

Spent most of last night working on my brew stand. It's nothing fancy, about 70 bucks in wood. I built it single tier which would have been great if I was all electric but it isn't. It didn't look right.. no flow. So I tore it apart lastnight and redesigned. I'll use a chugger pump to transfer the fluids around.

Awesome, glad you liked them. I really need to follow your example and get back to work on the garage brewery.

Does anybody know of a good pipe repair place? I have a Nording 825, apple bowl, straight stem.

Beautiful pipe, smokes really well. I've bit through the stem and there is now a V where my tooth should bite down. I looked up Nording online, they are made in Denmark but I couldn't find their website.

Would really like to have it repaired by the makers but will go with a US guy if he is reputable.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Dan

Thompson Cigar carries Nording pipes, maybe check and see if they repair or can recommend someone stateside. I know that the owner of Lewis Pipe here in Mpls is certified to repair most any brand. He's an amazing pipemaker, might be worth giving him a call. Some of his and his son's work is displayed on the site I linked, dude's good. They blend some pretty nice smoke there too. I've been loving their B&B and English Supreme. :mug:

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Dan

http://pipesandcigars.com/nolurestb.html

http://pipesandcigars.com/nofavurestb.html

my wife and I both quit cigs a few years ago. I still have a pipe from my smoking days but, as far as the wife is concerned, quitting pretty much means no tobacco, at all. So that means no pipe, for me, but there are times, especially if we have a camp fire, that I would love to break it out and enjoy a nice smoke.

Awesome, glad you liked them. I really need to follow your example and get back to work on the garage brewery.

Thompson Cigar carries Nording pipes, maybe check and see if they repair or can recommend someone stateside. I know that the owner of Lewis Pipe here in Mpls is certified to repair most any brand. He's an amazing pipemaker, might be worth giving him a call. Some of his and his son's work is displayed on the site I linked, dude's good. They blend some pretty nice smoke there too. I've been loving their B&B and English Supreme. :mug:

Thanks Dan. I checked out his store, very nice! We just don't seem to have the nice tobacco shops out here in CA. If we do, I haven't found one yet.

Thanks GMB. I don't know why didin't think of just ordering a new stem in the first place. Very inexpensive. The band on the shank is loose
as well but now that I think about it I could fix that.

my wife and I both quit cigs a few years ago. I still have a pipe from my smoking days but, as far as the wife is concerned, quitting pretty much means no tobacco, at all. So that means no pipe, for me, but there are times, especially if we have a camp fire, that I would love to break it out and enjoy a nice smoke.

So bust it out from time to time. :pipe:

Thanks Dan. I checked out his store, very nice! We just don't seem to have the nice tobacco shops out here in CA. If we do, I haven't found one yet..

It's a nice place, nice pipes, great tobacco. I'm thinking of getting an estate pipe from them soon, they seem to always have some nice ones and an EP seems to be a nice way to get a quality pipe. If you're ever interested in trying one of their blends, let me know, I'd be glad to pick you up some.

For those of you cats just getting started, or for those of you looking to try out some unfamiliar tobacco blends (especially if the heavily cased aromatics), have a look at this;

http://www.corncobpipe.com/product.php?productid=16207&cat=301&page=1

Missouri Meersham, Factory Seconds, 10 pipe grab bag. $29.95 +S/H. You don't get to pick which pipes you get but they are all guaranteed smokable.

This is a great way to try out new blends without risking getting a flavour you don't like in one of your briars.

And, for what it's worth, corncobb pipes are actually pretty amazing smokes. If a blend seems to smoke hot in a briar, 9 times out of 10 it will be cool and silky through a cobb.

I am. I looked at the reviews, people were saying they got no doubles and the flaws were minimal. And the pipes look nice. I figure one for the car, a few to sample different smokes and a few for my brewing buddy who's recently taken up smoking on brew days. Can't go wrong for $30.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
I am. I looked at the reviews, people were saying they got no doubles and the flaws were minimal. And the pipes look nice. I figure one for the car, a few to sample different smokes and a few for my brewing buddy who's recently taken up smoking on brew days. Can't go wrong for $30.

That's how I feel. Also, heading to Iwan Ries on Sunday. Apparently their main shop is closed but they may have something in the lounge. If you want pictures of any pipes or anything let me know.

And FTR, I have smoked from all of the tobacco I recently bought. Some amazing stuff. I am especially fond of the GL Pease Westminster blend.

Of all of them, the most surprising is the Captain Black sampler. i am sure most of us are already familiar with the Original (white) package. It's a perfect cobb smoke that I find to be harsh in any briar.

The pack came with white, gold, Round Taste (light blue), Royal (Dark Blue), and Cherry.

The Gold, and Round Taste are really good utilitarian smokes. Nice nicotine level, decent room note, no overly strong flavours. The Royal is a tad cloying.

The Cherry is downright offensive. Robitussin in every puff. Blech! And worse, it's the first tobacco I've tried that carries over if smoking a different blend in that pipe. Thank goodness I used a cobb. I'll not throw it out, rather let it age for a year and try it again. Can't get any worse.

Anyone else wanting to try a cherry, please, don't try Captain Black Cherry. Unless you are fond of Robitussin, of course.

That's how I feel. Also, heading to Iwan Ries on Sunday. Apparently their main shop is closed but they may have something in the lounge. If you want pictures of any pipes or anything let me know.

Yeah, if you see anything that catches an eye, I'd like to see it. I have my eyes on a handmade briar from Lewis Pipe, but I don't know if I'll be in the market for a that expensive of a pipe before it sells. Lewis has amazing stuff, father and son, both really skilled craftsmen, so they have a nice rotation of briars made in store. It's cool too, their shop is windowed, so you can see how they make their pipes as you shop.

The brewstand is coming along. It's stained a nice pecan, not dark, not light, always been one of my favorite stains. As usual with any of my projects it's a half baked plan and modified as I go. I know there is a thread around here for brewstands but this is pipe related... sort of! Smoked quite a lot of tobacco while building it. Helps me think and take my time. There is one glaring error with the stand that unless I want to do some de-contsructing and rebuilding will just have to stay. I can live with it, I just don't know what the heck I was thinking when I made the flaw.

Back