Safale S04 on Coopers Lager Kit ( Heavy Foam )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kike_gimenez

Reaction score
Hey lads,

Grettings to you all. I was just curious, is my first time using this yeast, I rehidrated it to the letter. The reason Im posting is because most of us know that the Coopers Lager is a really light and Pale not hoppy at all Beer kit. And as far as I know it shouldnt do much foam. This one is foaming like crazy. I used this recipe.

1 Coopers Lager Kit Can.
3 Lbs Golden Light DME.
500g Dark DME.
300g Corn Sugar.
1 oz Czech Saaz. ( 1/2 @ 60min and 1/2 @ 20min )

1 Pkg Safale S04 ( 11,5g) Rehidrated pitched @ 72F / 23L batch

After only just 12 hours foam has almost 10 inches high. Smells great seems great. Just wondering is this could be posible. So far im loving how fast this yeast is munchin away sugars. Has anyone tried this yeast? Is this normal on light pale beers ?

Thanks for reading.

Happy brewing all! :ban:

Awesome!

Yes its looking like a really good choice for me now. And its price is even greater!

Thanks berner. Just wanted to make sure it was normal. Looks like a really nice Ale yeast.

Cheers lads!

Agreed! S04 works fast, so maybe this is why you're seeing more krausen than normal. I brewed an Irish Red with this yeast and it dropped out very clear, plus the yeast in the bottles flocced out so well in the fridge that I can just dump the whole thing into a serving glass and the yeast stays painted onto the bottom of the bottle.

S-04 is bad a**, I keep it cool at 62 and the foam will die back and be done in 3 days tops. Still you want to wait at least 10-14 days though.

Back