Muscadine Pyment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tread82

Reaction score
Hey all!

It's muscadine picking time here in north Texas and it looks like I'll have about 10-12 lbs to freeze and use this year. I did want to make a wine from them, but it would be nice to see them go farther than 2 gallons max, as the recipies state on Jack Keller's website.

Has anyone made a muscadine pyment, or a mustang pyment for that matter, with fresh grapes before? How many pounds of grapes per pounds of honey would be recommended? I haven't ever tried muscadine wine, so I have no real reference point. I like dry wines, but I know muscadine is usually kept sweet, so I figured it go well in a semi-sweet mead. Thanks in advance guys.

I came upon this thread because I have almost the same exact question.
Surely, someone has an answer......anyone? :fro:

I have made a muscadine pyment, but I did not use fresh grapes. I was able to purchase muscadine juice from a winery in Florida (Dakotah Vineyards & Winery), and I used 1 gallon of juice added to a 5 gal batch of already fermenting mead. I did it this way b/c the juice does have some sulfites and citric acid, so I wanted to have an actively fermenting yeast just to make sure that the preservatives wouldn't affect the lag time. It came out really good, if I do say so myself.

If you have a press, I'd say you're golden. I do remember thinking that I might consider adding up to 2 gal of juice if I did it again, so I'd say anywhere between 1 and 2 gal of juice and water/honey up to a total volume of 6 gal would yield a great pyment. I used 15 lbs of honey for the 6 gal batch.

Latest posts

Back