Extract Peanut Butter Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shauntraxler

Reaction score
Brewed this last night.

Steeped
------------
5oz Crystal 60
3oz Crystal 120
6oz Chocolate Malt
2oz Black Patent
2oz Carapils
2oz Special B
2oz Biscuit

Boiled
------------
3.3lbs Briess Amber LME
.25oz Chinook (@60min)
.65oz Kent Goldings (@20min)
1 Jar PB2 (Split @30,15,5min)
1 Jar PB2 Chocolate (Split @30,15,5min)
8oz Lactose (@5min)

Pitched Wyeast Liquid Irish Ale yeast @71 deg.

OG: 1.072

I plan to primary for 2 weeks, rack to secondary for another 2-4 weeks over ~1oz Chocolate Extract and ~1oz PB extract (Both made by WATKINS).

I plan to bottle to taste with additional chocolate and peanut butter extract. I'll keep this thread updated with the brew's progress.

Bump... any criticisms?

I've never worked with Black Patent, or Carapils... Interested to hear input from brewers that are more familiar... What can I expect with this brew? :)

Racked to secondary yesterday. A bit sooner than I would have liked, but I'm trying to keep this brew on a schedule for some visitors coming in.

I siphoned on top of 1oz of Watkins chocolate extract, and 1oz of Watkins Peanut Butter extract.

Smelled delicious. Tastes green. Only time will tell.

I am a bit nervous, however. I took the OG 2 days ago and it was at 1.030 (curse!! lol). I haven't seen a single bubble in my airlock on the secondary. Now, I know fermentation can still be active, and I can put this all to rest just by checking gravity again, but the primary ate up so much of my brew with trub that I don't want to waste another 6-8oz for my hydro sample.

Any advice or words of encouragement?

I bottled this beast today. Racked it into bottling bucket over about .75oz each of chocolate and peanut butter extracts. It smells fantastic! Can't wait to try this.

The family comes into town in 13 days and that's when the first taste will likely be, although I may steal one just to make sure it's even worth them consuming it. ;)

Cracked a bottle today. Highly undercarbed at the moment. Tastes nearly straight out of the fermenter. lol. However, the flavors are pretty decent and the PB flavor is definitely noticeable.

I bottled one in a plastic PET bottle and it seems to be getting pretty darn rock-hard. I am beginning to wonder if I somehow got uneven carbonation. But hey, I'm probably worrying too much. :)

Will update again in about a week or so.

I may have to try this myself. I tried a peanutbutter Porter a while back using the powdered PB. The peanut butter didn't come through at all but needless to say, it was quite nutty!

I may have to try this myself. I tried a peanutbutter Porter a while back using the powdered PB. The peanut butter didn't come through at all but needless to say, it was quite nutty!

Do it to it man. I know someone up here has a rock-solid recipe for a PB-porter. People link to it all the time as a base for these PB-Cup stouts.

I'll look for it myself. I may just change it to a stout since a buddy of mine has been bugging me to make one anyway. More research...

Yeah. Actually pulled another bottle last night. I have to say, if sweet peanut butter beer is what you're looking for, brew this. It's delightful for what it is, a one-and-done dessert beer.

However, I am beginning to realize I undercarbed the entire batch... I was looking over my numbers and I have no idea how I landed on my amounts of primer. The carbonation is still almost non-existent. Oh well, we live, we learn. Maybe I'll brew again in a few months.

However, I am beginning to realize I undercarbed the entire batch... I was looking over my numbers and I have no idea how I landed on my amounts of primer. The carbonation is still almost non-existent. Oh well, we live, we learn. Maybe I'll brew again in a few months.

I was listening to a podcast of Jamil and he was saying that the oils from peanut butter absolutely kill head retention.

Yeah, that's a well known fact. It's not just head retention here, it's the actual carbonation. I definitely under-primed.

Shauntraxler,

Im live in central fla too. Where did you get your ingredients for this. I would like to give it a shot and see what I can do to mix it up.

Shauntraxler,

Im live in central fla too. Where did you get your ingredients for this. I would like to give it a shot and see what I can do to mix it up.

Nice man! I'm in Orlando like 5 days a week! Are you part of the CFHB?

I got all of my 'real' beer ingredients from Hearts Homebrew and the powdered PB from netrition.com. Also the watkins extracts from eBay. All are high-quality. :)

Nice man! I'm in Orlando like 5 days a week! Are you part of the CFHB?

I got all of my 'real' beer ingredients from Hearts Homebrew and the powdered PB from netrition.com. Also the watkins extracts from eBay. All are high-quality. :)

Ill be joining asap. Talked to a few of the guys at the most recent brews around the zoo and have been meaning to but never get out there. Are you?

I get my yeasts and small stuff like bottle caps and grain bags from hearts too :) For ingredients I have been ordering from AHB but I will check out the other places you mentioned as the Peanut butter stout sounds like an awesome idea.

Ill be joining asap. Talked to a few of the guys at the most recent brews around the zoo and have been meaning to but never get out there. Are you?

I get my yeasts and small stuff like bottle caps and grain bags from hearts too :) For ingredients I have been ordering from AHB but I will check out the other places you mentioned as the Peanut butter stout sounds like an awesome idea.

Most def man. Hearts is awesome, but it takes me well over an hour to get there. Good news is, I only work 20 mins from there, so when I REALLY need something I can swing by and snag it.

With gas prices the way they are, I think I am going to be ordering online a lot more. It costs me WAYYY more in gas to sit on I-4 for an hour than it does to pay for $9 shipping.

And nah, I'm not in CFHB yet. I would like to be, but my weekends are almost always busy with work. They, admittedly, only meet on weekends. So, I would love to join and have my beers expertly critiqued, but I'm not sure I will be able to make the commitment. Ya dig?

haha I totally dig man :)

If you save up to buy bulk kits/ingredients, shipping from Austin Home Brew is free if you purchase $100 or more. Otherwise its onlu $7.99 and it usually gets to me within 5 days.

Thanks again for sharing your recipes and best of luck!

haha I totally dig man :)

If you save up to buy bulk kits/ingredients, shipping from Austin Home Brew is free if you purchase $100 or more. Otherwise its onlu $7.99 and it usually gets to me within 5 days.

Thanks again for sharing your recipes and best of luck!

Great info. Thanks dude! Maybe someday we'll cross paths and we can sample... ;)

I bottled this beast today. Racked it into bottling bucket over about .75oz each of chocolate and peanut butter extracts. It smells fantastic! Can't wait to try this.

The family comes into town in 13 days and that's when the first taste will likely be, although I may steal one just to make sure it's even worth them consuming it. ;)

Followed a similar path as you but instead of racking onto 1 oz of extract I racked onto 16oz of PB2 and am not getting very much PB at all.

I'm gonna go extract now for sure into my keg but trying to decide how much extract to use. My original plan before seeing this post was to use 1 oz in the keg and then force carb. What do you think, will that be enough?

Back