Pumpkin ale: pumpkin necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shecky

Just an old guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife has ordered me to brew a pumpkin ale, which I had intended to do tomorrow. Only issue is 3 grocery stores did not have the canned pumpkin I was looking for.

I know there is much debate as to whether pumpkin actually adds anything to pumpkin ale. Its character is largely in the spices, in my opinion. So, what say you, should I go without pumpkin or wait a few days and see if I can find some?

I'm leaning one way but would like some input, please. Danke. :)

I brewed a pumpkin ale yesterday with 29oz of canned pumpkin in the mash. I added the pumpkin to the mash water while it was heating to strike temp and even then it was pretty subtle flavor. Just a background of gourdy-ness. By the end of the mash, it was nearly impossible to pick out. Then I added the spices during the boil and they pretty much dominate the flavor and aroma now.

Especially if you're using a fair bit of specialty grains, crystal, etc, I think you can definitely leave it out. The spices are where it's at.

You can also substitute other gourds and just roast them in the oven until tender. Actually, you might boost the flavor profile by doing so. Try a butternut squash, delicata squash, or even acorn squash. If you roast them with the skins on, you might even get a nice nutty characteristic which IMO would be pretty badass in a pumpkin ale. What about a swap with some sweet potato or "yams"?

Personally, i'd go butternut. That creamy and nutty squash flavor with the pumpkin pie spices would be really good. Also, if it were me, i'd incorporate some chile pepper in the spice blend to really boost the flavor profile.

I brewed the Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale four days ago and I roasted 60oz of pureed, canned pumpkin for a bit and then added to the boil. This was from extract. I just took an SG and it's 1.015 so I'll be racking it tomorrow. I haven't added the spice tea yet, but the pumpkin flavor definitely comes through in the beer for me. If you can't find canned pumpkin, sweet potatoes should work equally well. :fro:

I would go sweet potato or just skip it. I am not sure the pumpkin adds any flavor.

I brewed the Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale four days ago and I roasted 60oz of pureed, canned pumpkin for a bit and then added to the boil. This was from extract.
I did the same last year.

I would go sweet potato or just skip it. I am not sure the pumpkin adds any flavor.
Nor am I.
Skip it and don't tell anyone. I bet they won't notice.
Ah ha, you've stumbled on my evil plan. Well, my wife will know but she's promised to be quiet about it. :D

Thanks all for the suggestions. I gained a couple of interesting ideas to try down the road, but because I have no other gourds or sweet potatoes on hand, I'll go with pickles' idea. :)

I personally believe a pumpking ales should have pumpkin it...And being a fan of them I can tell the difference between a pumpkin ale and a "pumpkin spice" ale....

Remember with real pumpkin, especially if you roast or caramelize (roast the whole, carmelize the canned) you are getting a mallard reaction AND some conversion of the starches to sugars, and fermentation from it. And I swear there is a difference in body and taste because of it.

I don't agree with the others that the contribution is minimal, I don't think they have tried as many varieties both homebrewed and commercial as I have. I'm a pumpkin ale freak. I am pretty sure now that I have tried every one available in the state of Michigan over the last few years...Hell I tired three different ones last saturday alone...and found that they all sucked, and only mixing two of them at 50/50 made for something that didn't make you wanna hurl.

I also think that priming it with brown sugar over corn or table makes a big difference as well.

I personally believe a pumpking ales should have pumpkin it...And being a fan of them I can tell the difference between a pumpkin ale and a "pumpkin spice" ale....

Remember with real pumpkin, especially if you roast or caramelize (roast the whole, carmelize the canned) you are getting a mallard reaction AND some conversion of the starches to sugars, and fermentation from it. And I swear there is a difference in body and taste because of it.
I tend to agree with you, to a point. Pumpkin itself is rather tasteless. It needs something with it.

Seeing as my wife wants this turned around for our annual Halloween gathering in my driveway, I'm going to go without pumpkin and see if anybody can tell the difference. I'm betting not.

I tend to agree with you, to a point. Pumpkin itself is rather tasteless. It needs something with it.

Seeing as my wife wants this turned around for our annual Halloween gathering in my driveway, I'm going to go without pumpkin and see if anybody can tell the difference. I'm betting not.

Well pumpkin ales still have all the spices...I just think the pumpkin is necessary for body, mouthfeel and even umami.

You are going to barely make it then buddy. I brewed last year's Pumpkin ales (the partyguile) on labor day and it wasn't ready by Halloween....I couldn't get a brew in time this year, so it's gonna be commercial for me this year.

More than likely O'fallon's from Kansas.

o_fallon_brewery_pumpkin_beer.ex9ylnx7ylw8k4ok084s4k40g.6ylu316ao144c8c4woosog48w.th.jpeg

IIRC it's the best of the lot I have tried.

You better aim for a lowish grave ale then, don't go for a porter or big ale if you want it ready in time for the ghosties and goblins.

Well pumpkin ales still have all the spices...I just think the pumpkin is necessary for body, mouthfeel and even umami.

You are going to barely make it then buddy. I brewed last year's Pumpkin ales (the partyguile) on labor day and it wasn't ready by Halloween....I couldn't get a brew in time this year, so it's gonna be commercial for me this year.

More than likely O'fallon's from Kansas.

o_fallon_brewery_pumpkin_beer.ex9ylnx7ylw8k4ok084s4k40g.6ylu316ao144c8c4woosog48w.th.jpeg

IIRC it's the best of the lot I have tried.

You better aim for a lowish grave ale then, don't go for a porter or big ale if you want it ready in time for the ghosties and goblins.
I did like the body the pumpkin added to last year's brew. But I've yet to really experiment and this will be the first go, as lame as it may be. :D

OG, if I remember off the top of my head, is something around 1.047, so I should be fine for quick turnaround.

My first pumpkin batch just went into the bottle and while it looks good and tastes as well I was disappointed in the overall yield as it was a 5g batch and it returned only 3.5g due to trub and sediment...I didnt even waste using a keg on it so I bottled up about 30bottles...We shall see how it turns out...FYI...Cold crash before bottling...I didnt and still have some sediment in bottles...

Check out my post with photos...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/first-mini-mash-semi-recipe-creation-using-brewsmith-135139/

Well, if I might make a plug for pumpkin, though it will echo what others have said:

1) There is, as far as I can tell, a definite color difference. There is a beautiful orange/red hue that comes from using real pumpkin (and definitely roast/caramelize it).

2) It does taste and feel different, and it's worth it.

3) Don't expect to find a lot of canned pumpkin at the moment (at least without sugars/spices in it). It is also nowhere to be found in Columbia MD. I heard that Libby's (who was, I gather, the main producer) is experiencing some problems with the production and has told retailers and has told retailers not to expect it any time soon. BUT!

4) With a good paring knife, I found it's not hard to slice and peel some chunks of pumpkin, which you can then huck into the food processor. So... not bad.

I'll take that bet. Stop and Shop shelves were empty. Collecting dust. Nada. Zilch. That was also the case with the two IGA places I visited.

How much were we betting? :D

Well I surely would have bet a beer. ;) If you do want to use pumpkin and all the canned stuff in town has been snapped up then buy a sugar pumpkin at the produce department or a farm stand. Cut it up and either steam or roast it and use that for the beer.

I've brewed two batches one with one without using the same recipe other than pumpkin and no one could pick the pumpkin batch. The spices are what dominate the flavor profile in the beer.

Yes, small sample size, but IMO the pumpkin, is a nice to add but certainly not a make or break ingredient.

I'm in the same dilemma as you no pumpkin on any shelves in the groceries in my area at all, I've been on the hunt for 3 1/2 weeks now. I looked it up to see if there was an issue in production and it seems to be the case. [ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pumpkin+shortage+2009&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi="]Pumpkin shortage 2009.[/ame] I would wait till you get your hands on some pumpkin, it just isn't pumpkin ale without the pumpkin.

I'm in the same dilemma as you no pumpkin on any shelves in the groceries in my area at all, I've been on the hunt for 3 1/2 weeks now. I looked it up to see if there was an issue in production and it seems to be the case. Pumpkin shortage 2009. I would wait till you get your hands on some pumpkin, it just isn't pumpkin ale without the pumpkin.
Too late. Brew day has commenced. MLT is pre-heating and mash-in is mere moments away. :D

I believe the O'fallon brewery is in missouri.

I couldn't remember and it was too late google it last night....I lived in KCMO during my residential year in seminary and KCK and KCMO were often interchangeable in my mind. I was often not sure which state I was in at any given time when I was doing the touristy thing.

Wow, glad we grew pie pumpkins and Atlantic giants this year. Planning on mashing in the Atlantic Giant, I don't plan to add any pumpkin to the boil, takes too long to age out.

Made my "The Great Pumpkin Imperial Ale" Saturday. Skipped the pumpkin entirely. Replaced it with grain additions to maximize the body and toastiness of the brew (in addition to the complexity added by the 9% alcohol). One of the best hydrometers I have ever downed. Won't be ready for halloween, but I will bust one open for Thanksgiving, and really really ready for Christmas. BTW, I think I will use brown sugar for bottling.

I couldn't remember and it was too late google it last night....I lived in KCMO during my residential year in seminary and KCK and KCMO were often interchangeable in my mind. I was often not sure which state I was in at any given time when I was doing the touristy thing.

O'Fallon is just west of St. Louis County. Their Pumpkin Ale is pretty great!

I also think that priming it with brown sugar over corn or table makes a big difference as well.

I'm probably gonna go this route. Around how much do you think should be used for a 5gal batch, bottled.

I am going to do the AHS Pumkin Ale this weekend, I am doing a mini mash so im going to add the pumkin in with the grains. My question is being pretty new to this, I have seen where people have added 1/2 cup of brown suger to the boil? I am planning on doubling up on the spice as well. I thought that I might even spice up the pumpkin while baking it with pumpkin pie spice?

Do you think that is a little much, I have never made a pumpkin ale but the commercial ones I have had sure were bland.

I completely agree with Revvy in that I believe adding REAL pumpkin to the mash does a lot more than just adding pumpkin spices. There is a major difference between Jack's and O'fallon's pumpkin beer. I know, I know, they're two completely different beers, and that Jack's is AB, but try any commercial pumpkin spice beer against a pumpkin beer and you'll be able to tell a difference. O'fallon's pumpkin beer was definitely my favorite of the lot last year, but this year I was sorely let down. However, Schlafly (also a St. Louis suburb brewery) has put out a phenomenal pumpkin beer IMO, but I also think pumpkin beer should taste like pumpkin pie in a bottle, and less like beer. It's a very drinkable 8% abv beer with quite a bit of spice. May be overpowering for some people, but if you see it freakin pick it up.

I am going to do the AHS Pumkin Ale this weekend, I am doing a mini mash so im going to add the pumkin in with the grains. My question is being pretty new to this, I have seen where people have added 1/2 cup of brown suger to the boil? I am planning on doubling up on the spice as well. I thought that I might even spice up the pumpkin while baking it with pumpkin pie spice?

Do you think that is a little much, I have never made a pumpkin ale but the commercial ones I have had sure were bland.

Just out of curiosity what was the spice addition in the original recipe. You may want to rethink doubling the spices, or consider adding the extra spice to the secondary after sampling as spices really go a long way. I added a pound of brown sugar to my pumpkin ale, it just gives it a little alcohol boost and adds some complexity. After reading up on some spicing methods I would urge you not to add the spices with the pumpkin, because you can get some pretty harsh flavors by doing a full boil with spices. Instead, just add the spices with about 5 minutes left, or even make a spice tea to add after fermentation. You'll still get the flavor and aroma from them if they get transferred to the primary.

The spices are nutmeg, mace, cinnimon and sweet orange peel. My plan was to add the spices in the last ten minutes of the boil. I have not done anything like this before so I was not sure how far the spice would go as fas as how pronouced or strong it would be when finished. I read a review on their website where someone urges to double the spices so that is where i got the idea. I got two cans of pumpkin that i am going to spread out on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes first.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

The spices are nutmeg, mace, cinnimon and sweet orange peel. My plan was to add the spices in the last ten minutes of the boil. I have not done anything like this before so I was not sure how far the spice would go as fas as how pronouced or strong it would be when finished. I read a review on their website where someone urges to double the spices so that is where i got the idea. I got two cans of pumpkin that i am going to spread out on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes first.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

I would stick with the recipe. If it need more spices they can be boiled in a small amount of water and added at bottling or kegging. You can't take them out if their to strong.

Did any of you who tried using real pumpkin in the mash have any issues hitting your temps due to the mass of the pumpkin?

I'm using ~90oz of canned pumpkin with another 12# or so of grain in a 6 gallon batch. Brewsmith doesn't seem to adjust strike temp for the mass of the pumpkin. Starter is bubbling, I plan to brew in a few hours...

Did any of you who tried using real pumpkin in the mash have any issues hitting your temps due to the mass of the pumpkin?

I'm using ~90oz of canned pumpkin with another 12# or so of grain in a 6 gallon batch. Brewsmith doesn't seem to adjust strike temp for the mass of the pumpkin. Starter is bubbling, I plan to brew in a few hours...

I used real pumpkin in my mash and had no problems hitting my temps. I aimed for 154 and hit 153.5, so not off by much at all.

Well, I was about 7 low, but I think the grain and tun was colder than I told Beersmith. I had left it out in the garage since Friday and it's been in the low 30s overnight, 50 during the day. I had to add another 3 qts of water to bring things up to temp. I added the pumpkin as it was still warm and it didn't bring down the water temp more than a few degrees. That was an opportunity to adjust before adding grains and I dumbed out. Oh well, RDWHAHB I suppose.

I had the same question. I brewed mine today as well and put the pumpkin in my pot as I heated it up to strike temp.....There will be no heat loss because the pumpkin is already in the mash....

IMO, Pumpkin is not necessary in a pumpkin beer. But you might have trouble explaining it later if you don't put a little in.

There. Voted again. Didn't know if it was OK to vote twice, but meh.

My Beer Formerly Known as Pumpkin Beer tastes great with no pumpkin whatsoever. Just the spices, and malts to build up the body of the beer.

A true pumpkin ale/beer has pumpkin in it. Pumpkin spice ale has no pumpkin in it, only the spices commonly use in pumpkin pie.

Pumpkin is not necessary in a pumpkin beer

Now you tell me! ;)

Fortunately, that was not what I was after. I tend to side with the crowd that feels a pumpkin beer should use some pumpkin somehow. IMO, if it just used the spices, it's just a holiday spiced beer. Whether or not I can taste a difference is immaterial, it was a fun experiment and in the spirit.

I read up and down on the subject before digging in today, so I knew what I was in for. In reality, the pumpkin wasn't that much more trouble than normal. I did end up with a stuck sparge due to the pumpkin pulp at one point, but was able to break things up. The pound of rice hulls helped, but didn't prevent the inevitable. I think I just had too much pumpkin for the given amount of grain, I used three 29oz cans for 6 gallons. Next time I'll go for 2 cans.

All I know is that I am beat! I have got to get my setup more streamlined or something. Too much lugging kettles and burners and buckets and etc from the basement to the garage and back. I suppose if I didn't actually park cars in my garage, I could build a rig... I'm debating the next moves, but that's for another thread.

Back