tweaking all grain system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwaterbrewer

Reaction score
i am on my 4th all grain batch. still working out the kinks in my system ( efficiency, pre-boil volume, strike water temp). this may be a coincedence, but i seem to be getting very quick fermentations. it will start much faster than normal, get a huge krrausen and a good roll, then after a dayu or two jsut seem to stop all together and bubble maybe once per minute. the extract way seemed to be a mor elongated fermentation. any thoughts?

i am on my 4th all grain batch. still working out the kinks in my system ( efficiency, pre-boil volume, strike water temp). this may be a coincedence, but i seem to be getting very quick fermentations. it will start much faster than normal, get a huge krrausen and a good roll, then after a dayu or two jsut seem to stop all together and bubble maybe once per minute. the extract way seemed to be a mor elongated fermentation. any thoughts?

I found the same thing when I moved from extract to all grain. Pretty anecdotal, but my guess is that I tend to mash lower that the people making the extract. I usually mash in the 148-150 range because I like a dryer, more fermentable wort. I rarely have a beer that will end higher than 1.012, and they usually finish out in about 4 days. With extract, I would see 1.014-1.016 and it would take 1-2 weeks to reach that level. Again, this is just a guess but that's been my experience.

interesting. i know that it is ideal to have a quick start. as long as i am getting correct a.b.v., who cares? i thought maybe that i needed to aerate more because of boiling the full wort volume. all i do is shake the crap out of the primary carboy for a few minutes. maybe i need a more "sophisticated" method.

Back