IPA question for the hopheads out there

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Let's say you had an IPA brewed with 2.5 oz Amarillo(8.5%) for 60 mins and finished with 2 oz Cascade (3.9%) for 10 mins. This makes the bitterness ~75 IBU and I would have .5 oz of the Amarillo left over. Would you prefer the brewer to have used all 3 oz of the Amarillo (total IBU ~88) or save the left over Amarillo for dry hopping to add flavor/aroma? Thanks.

-AJ

Btw, while we're on the subject. If all the parameters of my beer meet the style guidelines for English IPA except IBU (40-60 for the style, 75 for mine), would that make it qualify as a double IPA, or are there other factors that distinguish a double IPA from a normal IPA?

I personally love BIG hop aroma, I would definitely save it for the last 5 min or dry-hopping.

Almost all IPAs I make, I will use small amount of a high-alpha hop at 60 min to get the IBUs up. Then I will put a bunch of aroma hops in the last five minutes till flameout. Then dry hop in secondary!

Probably not a double IPA due to the fact that you most likely do not have the malt or the gravity to fit into that style. Especially if you were going for an English IPA, instead of an American IPA. Although at 75 IBUs it does fall into the style guidelines in that respect.

As for the Amarillo, personally I would have thrown it all in during the boil and then dry hopped with an oz. or two of something. Either more Amarillo or maybe some Centennial, I love the Centennial. Either way it should be fine.

As for the Amarillo, personally I would have thrown it all in during the boil and then dry hopped with an oz. or two of something. Either more Amarillo or maybe some Centennial, I love the Centennial. Either way it should be fine.

I haven't brewed it yet, so I still have time to decide. I'm kind of hit and miss with the IPAs I try, sometimes the extreme bitterness is good, if it's not too harsh. But I also LOVE hop aroma. So that's why I am trying to get a consensus on this. Thanks.

-AJ

Latest posts

Back