Overflow After Dry Hopping (Video)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loetz

Reaction score
I added about an ounce of pellets to around 1.3 gal of fermented wort and this happened.

There was very little head space when I added the hops. It was up to around the handle someplace. It foamed like this for around five minutes or so and then died back down.

The fermentation ended about a week and a half ago and it's been sitting in the secondary for almost a week already. Hopefully it's just excess c02 coming out of suspension. I hope I don't need to post this in 'post your infection' :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it would depend how quickly you sealed it afterwards. I would assume with it coming out that vigorously, there was no room for air to get in lol. I think you will be fine.

Let's hope that this is true. I was planning to mix it back in with the rest of the batch while bottling, but I think I'll quarentine this stuff and bottle it separately just in case.

I think it was just CO2 coming out of suspension as you stated. The hops probably provided nucleation sites as well as agitated the mixture as they were dropped in.

Let's hope that this is true. I was planning to mix it back in with the rest of the batch while bottling, but I think I'll quarentine this stuff and bottle it separately just in case.

Ya I would definitely not put the leakage back in. That is an invitation for infection. If you want to try and salvage it, bottle separately as you mentioned.

oh no not the leakage! This jug holds just part of my whole batch. I have another 7 or 8 gal in another fermenter. I meant that I was going to mix the two at bottling, but now I wont.

Back