Can I split my new SCOBY?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRub

Reaction score
Hey Everyone -

So glad I found this forum. My name is Josh, and everything I've read here is so helpful.

I've been drinking store kombucha for a couple weeks now, but wanted to start brewing my own. I followed some online instruction, and grew my own new scoby! I wanted to start now, and brew my own 1 gallon batch, but the container I have is plastic, so I'd rather not use that.

I have a ton of quart jars, (Left over from a project I didnt do) and I know I can use my new scoby to brew a quart size jar. My question though, is can I split my SCOBY is two, and brew two quart sized jars? or even 4 and brew four jars, making a gallon?

It is about 1/8 in thick, and is very healthy looking.

Once again, thanks for welcoming me to the forum! and I look forward to your answers!

Thanks for your reply! How big of a batch do you brew at once, and how long do you let yours brew?

From what I understand it will just take a little longer if you use a smaller scoby (all very relative terms). If you used a larger jar you will grow a big scoby on the first batch.

I do 2 gallon batches and the pH will drop to 2.5-2.8 in two weeks. I use 2 cups of starter tea and a good sized scoby.

shelly_belly said:
You can do that. I don't even use the scoby anymore. I just use 10% kombucha in each new batch. This grows a new scoby every time. If you use the scoby it will probably work faster.

Shelly - how long does your "scoby -less" take to fully ferment?

I just brewed my first batch and I made 3 quarters of a gallon in 3 separate jars. I got a scoby from a friend it was not very large but I split it into 3 equal pieces maybe 1 inch by 1 inch pieces. I just bottled it last night and it tastes like it fermented properly. Good luck with your batch I am pleased with my results I hope that info is helpful.

I eneded up just making one quart. I then took my daughter and put it into a 2 gallon jar, with a spout, and the mother in a separate. Each with only one gallon of tea.

Here I come Continuous Brewing System!

People talk about the SCOBY as if it's a mono-organism rather than a collection of bacteria, yeast and living and dead cells. I'd agree with the other posters in saying just cut the sucker or don't use one at all. Keep your temps high to prevent mold and you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back