fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chip82

Reaction score
hello everyone,

I am making my first batch of wine. I am using a chokecherry wine similar to yoopers. But after 3 weeks in my primary, which is a glass carboy, my airlock has stopped bubbling. Is there something i have done wrong?

thanks in advance for the help,

chip

hello everyone,

I am making my first batch of wine. I am using a chokecherry wine similar to yoopers. But after 3 weeks in my primary, which is a glass carboy, my airlock has stopped bubbling. Is there something i have done wrong?

thanks in advance for the help,

chip

I usually only leave my wine in primary about 7 days, or until fermentation slows down. Then, I move to secondary, top up, and add the airlock. If you're already under airlock, it's fine but make sure you rack off any lees if it's still in primary. Also, top up so that there is very little headspace.

Then, just wait. That's all there is to it! Taking SG readings can be helpful if you're an impatient type, but it's not necessary at this point.

i should say that i am in my secondary, with an airlock, my mistake, i had a starting sg of 1.09 and i put in the secondary with 1.025, it has been under airlock since it was 1.025 which has been 3 weeks

i should say that i am in my secondary, with an airlock, my mistake, i had a starting sg of 1.09 and i put in the secondary with 1.025, it has been under airlock since it was 1.025 which has been 3 weeks

That seems to me to be perfectly normal wine behavior.

Wait a few more weeks and rack into a clean carboy. Airlock it for 4 or 5 more months. Bottle and sit for 6 more months.

It will be fine...

perfectly normal, follow along just like it was stated above by the dr.

I've never made a mead so I cant speak to that when it comes to the wait but when it comes to wine its just a long, long waiting game until you get it in the bottle.

Then once its in the bottle the real torture starts. If you don't already, start brewing beer while you wait. That's exactly what I started to do, otherwise if you're impatient like me you find yourself in the basement just staring at it and waiting and waiting and waiting

Back