first grain kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchomebrew

Reaction score
i brewed my first grain/partial extract kit tonight from nothern brewer.
the kit came with a few different hop pellets to add during the boil. hope it turns out. there was alot of sludge on the bottom of my kettle when i transfered to the primary. looked like strained peas. haha.
when i checked back on the primary shortly after, alot had settled to the bottom already. does this seam normal?

Yep,very normal. The green "peas" are hop sludge. Try to keep the fermentation temps in the mid range for your yeast and things should work out fine.

thanks, i thought that might be the case. i think from now on i will get a strainer when i rack from one carboy to another, maybe that will help a little. also might start using irish moss to clear it up a bit.
the recipe calls for dry hopping with an ounce of pellets, should i just throw them in before i rack to the secondary? or possibly on top?

Don't strain when you rack from carboy to carboy! You can strain the first time you put your wort into the carboy or plastic fermentor, but after that, no way. Just rack the beer (siphon) from above all the junk ("trub") on the bottom. Your beer will clear up that way, and you won't oxidize it. Oxidizing your beer by aerating it after fermentation starts will ruin in.

I just throw my hops in for dryhopping, but somepeople like to use sanitized hops bags. The choice is yours. If you use a bag, add some sanitized marbles to weight it down, otherwise it just floats on top.

Back