Pid hlt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMoreBeers

Reaction score
Is anyone using a PID to control their HLT? I am not interested in building a RIMS or herms at this time because I do not have a brew stand, I brew in my kitchenette in the basement.

I am thinking of making a PID controller to control a heat stick that I use in my HLT and BK. I know this will make step mashing a little more challenging, but I tend to batch sparge with a one-step temp. I currently do not recirc my mash. MLT is a ten gallon cooler.

HLT is a boilermaker... I will use the existing hole for the thermometer for the RTD probe. Then when boiling just set the duty cycle on the PID as needed.

So, from the lack of comments I am thinking that most of your think this is a dumb idea and that I don't need this to simply control my HLT... No one else does this???

Most people here do this. People probably aren't answering because it only takes a few minutes to read some of the threads here with people controlling their HLTs with a PID.

People use their HLTs as heat exchangers and keep the water a steady temp using this method. You can also "set and forget" for your strike an sparge water.

Just check out some of the build threads here, you'll find lots of good info!

Thanks, most of the stuff I read was for RIMS and HERMS builds. That was a bit more than I wanted to get into.

I'd mount an element instead of using a heat stick. In fact that is exactly what I've been working on the past few weeks. This is my second system and will be a BIAB, controlled by PID and recirculated with pump.

Latest posts

Back