Speidel Plastic Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n00tz

Reaction score
I came across these via a homebrew blog and was wondering if anyone's actually used them.

They are available for a limited time at MoreBeer: http://morebeer.com/view_product/12095/104258/Speidel_Plastic_Fermenter_-_60L_159_gal?a_aid=hbf

I'm leaning away from plastic fermenters because of the number of times I've read about infection after half a dozen uses or slightly more... I realize it's more of a function of getting these things clean without scouring the plastic but I'd just as soon turn to a SS or Glass fermenter to avoid that issue as much as possible. I was curious about these from any of your experience before I pass judgement.

Also interested. The wide mouth for cleaning is a big plus. Also the footprint for the capacity is also attractive. Use better bottles now in addition to glass.

I haven't had issues with contamination with my better bottles to this point. Probably about 10+ fermentation's on them.

Interesting, I am working on converting to better bottles now and already have a lot of the valves and stuff but I am curious to see how these pan out.

I bought a couple of very similar containers from ebay last year. They are also HDPE. Mine are just under 10gal and don't have handles.
DSC_0216.jpg

How do you like them?

Anyone know if all HDPE containers are also BPA free?

Yes HDPE is BPA free....there are only a couple types of plastic that have BPA in them now but HDPE is NOT one of them. It's actually seen as pretty stable - that is why milk, water....etc is stored in those type of plastic containers.

I bought a couple of very similar containers from ebay last year. They are also HDPE. Mine are just under 10gal and don't have handles.
DSC_0216.jpg

Hi guys, I finally found the guy I bought these from. He is not selling them on ebay at the moment, but he has them and sells them from his business, Ontario Recycling in Rochester, NY. He sells them for $15 plus shipping. For me, it is $12.75 to ship to GA. I have his email address for paypal. I need to get the OK from him and I will post it here if anyone is interested. As you can see, there are no handles. I simply drilled a 1/2" hole and inserted a rubber grommet that I bought from BMW or Midwest. I also added the drum spigots (Drum Tap Spigot). The lids have a gasket for a tight seal.

I contacted him earlier in the year and he wanted $25 + $10 shipping, I decided to pass at that point. Curious if he is now asking $15 or does it go by his mood of the day?

I contacted him earlier in the year and he wanted $25 + $10 shipping, I decided to pass at that point. Curious if he is now asking $15 or does it go by his mood of the day?

Maybe he was offering me a deal since I am a repeat customer. I sent him a reply and asked if I could post his contact info.

That's a pretty good deal for a 10 gallon fermenter (shipping kinda sucks). I get 7.5 gallon ones from us plastic for 7 bucks, shipping 4 bucks or so.

That's a pretty good deal for a 10 gallon fermenter (shipping kinda sucks). I get 7.5 gallon ones from us plastic for 7 bucks, shipping 4 bucks or so.

They are actually a little less than 10gal. He advertises them as 10gal. I have an empty one and I'll try to remember to measure the volume.

Morebeer.com wil be sellining the newest models of this brand: Speidel Plastic Fermenter

Back