extract cranberry ale to PM questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Hey guys hows it goin?

I've got a recipe book and decided on doing this "New England Cranberry Ale" next.

My questions are...I'm thinking about doing a PM so how should I change the recipe? Plus it doesn't say how many cranberry's to add...any suggestions?

Here's the original recipe:

6 2/3LB Pale LME
1 Lb Crystal 40
2 oz Roasted Barley
1 1/2 oz Cascade (Bittering)
1/2 oz Mount Hood (Aroma)
1 tsp Gypsum
1 tsp Irish Moss
1 pkg European Ale Yeast
1 Cup Corn Sugar
3/4 Cup Corn Sugar (Priming)

Cranberry's???

I was thinking of chaning it to:

1LB Crystal 40
2 oz Roasted Barley
3 LB 2 row
4 1/2 Lb extra pale LME

mash with like 1.5 gal
sparge with 2 gal

Got any idea of a temp I should mash and sparge this at?

Does this sound about right....

Thanks in advance

I'm thinking of this next Fall. Why not real cranberries? Pectin/haze issue?

I've got 24 oz of frozen cranberries. I want to make something like this, AG.

Here is what QBrew spits out for the original recipe. Notice I didn't put the corn sugar in.

======================================================
Recipe Cranberry Ale
Brewer Batch 5.00 gal
Mashed

Recipe Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.055 OG Estimated FG 1.014 FG
Recipe Bitterness 42 IBU Alcohol by Volume 5.5%
Recipe Color 13° SRM Alcohol by Weight 4.3%

Ingredients
Quantity Grain Use
6.66 lb Light malt extract extract
1.00 lb Crystal 40L mashed
0.12 lb Roasted barley mashed
Quantity Hop Form Time
1.50 oz Cascade pellet 60 minutes
0.50 oz Mt. Hood pellet 10 minutes
Quantity Misc Notes
1.00 unit Ale yeast smack pack

Recipe Notes
How many cranberries ?
============================================================

Here is the all grain equivalent. Only change is to use 9 lbs of 2 row. It results in the same color.

============================================================
Recipe Cranberry Ale-AG
Brewer Batch 5.00 gal
Mashed

Recipe Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.056 OG Estimated FG 1.014 FG
Recipe Bitterness 42 IBU Alcohol by Volume 5.6%
Recipe Color 13° SRM Alcohol by Weight 4.3%

Ingredients
Quantity Grain Use
1.00 lb Crystal 40L mashed
0.12 lb Roasted barley mashed
9.00 lb American two-row mashed
Quantity Hop Form Time
1.50 oz Cascade pellet 60 minutes
0.50 oz Mt. Hood pellet 10 minutes
Quantity Misc Notes
1.00 unit Ale yeast smack pack

Recipe Notes
How many cranberries ?
=======================================================

The big question for me is how to do the cranberries.

Thanks brewman!

I don't have the book in front of me but I think it said to add them to the secondary. (After simmering them for like 15min) In fact I'm like 95% sure thats what they said....

Hmm...I was thinking of doing a partial mash

So does the:

1LB Crystal 40
2 oz Roasted Barley
3 LB 2 row
4 1/2 Lb extra pale LME

sound right for that??

Thanks..

So does the:

1LB Crystal 40
2 oz Roasted Barley
3 LB 2 row
4 1/2 Lb extra pale LME

sound right for that??

You tell me ! Qbrew is free and it works for Windows, Mac and Linux. The link to it is in my sig. Download and install it and run the numbers. I'll double check your work if you want.

Won't boiling the cranberries cause it to be cloudy? I was thinking of just processing them in a food processor.

If you are talking about having a pectin haze, one could add pectin enzyme to the wort, just like we do when making wine.

Question is, do the cranberries need to be boiled or just steeped ? I was thinking of crushing and steeping them.

How many pounds of fresh cranberries do we need ?

Green: what did you find ?

Well the book doesn't say how many LBs of Cranberry's to add.....I'm guessing its up to the brewer...

My guess is btw 2 and 4 lbs but this could be totaly wrong...i don't know

As far as handling the cranberrys it says to put the cranberrys in a food processor then steep with the 1 cup corn sugar in 150 degree water for 10min. Then put them in the secondary and rack the beer onto it...

This book also has a recipe for a cran wheat and it calls for 2lbs of cranberrys....could be the same for the other recipe then

Take it easy

I bought the ingredients for this beer. I am going to brew it as soon as I get my new mash tun set up and my steam system works. The silicone is drying right now.

oh yeah right on brewman! are you doing an all grain?

how many lb's of cranberrys did you decide to do?

I'll be doing mine in a week or two...

let me know how it goes

greenhornet said:
oh yeah right on brewman! are you doing an all grain?

how many lb's of cranberrys did you decide to do?

I'll be doing mine in a week or two...

let me know how it goes

Yeah, it will be all grain. I was going to brew it last night, but I had to make a few changes to my steam system. I'll be using 24 ozs of fresh, frozen cranberries. Probably mash them and steep them at 170F after the boil.

I'll let you know how it turns out. I hope to brew it next weekend, but it might happen tomorrow night.

are you going to put the cranberrys into the primary?

The book says to put them into the secondary and rack the beer on top of it..

wouldn't putting them into the primary ferment out more of the berry's sugar/flavor?

I've got no idea i'm just guessing..

good luck

I'm brewing this right now. The mash has been going for 20 minutes now @ 66C.

I brewed a ginger peach last weekend. I added the peaches to the boil after it had cooled down to 175F or so and let them steep for 30 minutes. I'm going to do the same with the cranberries.

wouldn't putting them into the primary ferment out more of the berry's sugar/flavor?

They should ferment the same either way. Steeping them will kill any bacteria. The longer they sit in the beer the greater the flavor extraction should be. My ginger peach smelled delicious fermenting. Who needs air fresheners ? *chuckle.

alright man I'll believe you...tell me how it goes bc i'm pretty excited about it..

take it easy and good luck

Well, I just finished drinking the first bottle of this and its the best beer I ever brewed ! I think some of that has to do with the fact that I steam mashed it, but its just a great beer too.

Its fairly dark and I generally don't like dark beers. It has a faint cranberry taste. Its just slightly tart/puckery. It has no aftertaste, its very smooth.

I'm very happy with it.

Well, we had this beer with dinner and its really excellent.

Its cold here tonight, so I cooked up hearty thick spicy vegetable soup. I made chicken sandwiches from big toasted white buns with leftover chicken with mayo, hot mustard, lettuce and tomatoes.

And we each had a Cranberry Ale in a tall glass. I should have taken a picture. It was delicious. The beer complimented the soup well.

I wouldn't have said anything here tonight except my wife, normally not a dark beer drinker, remarked how good the meal AND THE BEER was. She really likes this beer with a meal. And this beer gets better as it ages too.

I highly recommend this recipe. Thanks for sharing it, GH.

Haha no problem Brewman! Only wish I had come up with it!!

Well crap man....I told myself that the beer I brewed last night would be the last of the "season" bc it's getting hot already but you're making this sound so good that I might have to brew it up

Maybe you should add it to the recipe database?

Hey did you ever look at the lager chapter of that book?

Take it easy

Maybe you should add it to the recipe database?

I will when I get a chance. I'll put up the AG version. You can test brew the extract version and verify its good too. I only like to attest to recipes that I know first hand.

Hey did you ever look at the lager chapter of that book?

I just picked up the book an hour ago from the Library. I've got another one to read too. I'm off tomorrow so I want to select a recipe to brew Saturday night.

Cool man I've been doing AG and PM's lately...If I did it I'll probubly do a PM as my MLT is a 2gal and I can only fit 4lb

On the topic of fruit beers I racked my strawberry IPA to tetriary the other day and it's deffinatly the lightest beer I've brewed so far. It's my second AG but the first with my MLT....the strawberries are really pretty subtle and the color is awesome

Man you Canadians suck...Wish I could brew lagers in my basement (which is funny bc I've never even seen a basement.....the ground is too rocky down here) and you can brew way later into the year.....BUT you guy's have to deal with snow!

Back