Killing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm partly thru my first cider fermentation. I'm wanting to make a slightly sweetened cider and had figured on adding a bit of frozen apple concentrate till it hit my perceived level of sweetness.

However, I know it's sugar and the yeast in suspension will ferment it, fart CO2 and maybe go dry again if the bottles don't explode first.

So, I'd like to kill the yeast. Seems I've read that k meta and sorb will knock it down but only for a while and then it'll take off again. Is the only way to do it by submerging the bottles in a hot water bath at around 170* for 15-20 minutes? Or..

I'm hoping someone can recommend a decent book on cider making to answer some of my questions.. Some of what I've seen here and on the blogs, etc seem to conflict.

Proulx and Nichols book on sweet and hard cider is probably the definitive publication.

You can also heat the cider in bulk to pasteurize it, then sweeten it and bottle it. Be aware that frozen concentrate often has vitamin C in it and can add acidity to the flavor.

There was a post somewhere on here where the guy just stuck his bottles in his dishwasher on its hottest setting to kill off the yeast.

Remember, If you kill the yeast, you will have a flat cider. I just add more sugar than the yeast can handle, and force carb from a keg.

Back