Alcohol Without Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cool brew

Reaction score
I was just pondering the idea of yeast and how we could make alcohol without it.. and thought about Synthetic Alcohol. That article seems to be the start of something that could phase out alcohol in the next century, but for now I'm curious if there is ANY known way to make alcohol without the use of yeast

I'm no chemist by any means. But in order to do that you might have to find a way to isolate some lactobacillus and put that in.

The synthetic "alcohol" described in the article does not contain any alcohol at all. It is meerly a mix of mindaltering drugs that make you feel "buzzed".

The synthetic "alcohol" described in the article does not contain any alcohol at all. It is meerly a mix of mindaltering drugs that make you feel "buzzed".

Yeah, I understand that. I'm simply saying it could replace alcohol.

I'm curious if there is another way to make Alcohol. I found a couple articles that suggest it is. It sounds like you need to extract the enzyme that produces alcohol from the yeast cells and introduce that to sugars.

I was just thinking hard about how alcohol is made and was curious if that was the ONLY way it is made. Hydration of ethylene produces non-drikable alcohol, but not really interested in that. I think drinkable alcohol is pretty much only made with yeast.

Synthetic alcohol sounds pretty cool though. It would be cool to have an antidote to alcohol

diazepam enhances drunkenness, there is no way it could ever replace it. unless it can **** in my sock drawer.

That article is a joke. benzodiazepines are highly addictive. This "synthetic" alcohol from benzodiazepine-spiked liquid will never be allowed to be served, so dont get your hopes up that it will phase out alcohol!

Alcohol is produced by countless micro-organisms. There are plenty of fungi and bacteria that produce alcohol. Go into google and type fungal ethanol production and then try bacterial ethanol production. If you want to find better quality results type filetype:pdf after your search and it will increase the percentage of scientific journal articles found, I would rate myself as highly educated in most areas of science simply because of my use of filetype:pdf.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&q=fungal+ethanol+production+filetype:pdf&oq=fungal+ethanol+production+filetype:pdf&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=hp.3...7830l10552l3l10733l6l6l0l0l0l0l80l418l6l6l0.frgbld.&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=fd7db91cb597af7&biw=720&bih=783

AFAIK, all ethanol production is via yeast or other fermentation microorganisms. Most of these use some sort of sugar as a substrate, but as janivar mentioned, efforts to generate ethanol from cellulose has recently been demonstrated.

In terms of other options, you could generate it using purified enzymes, but it would be difficult - you'd need about 1 dozen separate enzymes, electron carriers like NADP, energy source (ATP) and a range of substrates (ADP, phosphate, etc).

Synthetic ethanol is also made, largely for industrial uses, via the addition of water to ethane. According to wikipedia, only one company still does this; fermentable sugars being readily available and cheap these days.

Bryan

So, i think i just made alcohol without yeast. I put a small amount of "milo's sweet tea" in a bottle and watered it down to look like pee. Originally it was for a drug test, but i left it somewhere and forgot about it for like a month, anyways, i found it this morning and it was all bubbly and had a brown sludge in the bottom and i opened it and it sounded like i was opening a soda and it kind of smelled like a beer. sorry about that last run-on, if there are any grammar nazis here). anyways i poured it out because i didnt know if it would be safe to drink. Is there any way to tell if it is? because i can definatley make another one.

Latest posts

Back