Priming with Belgian Candi Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rehlgood

Reaction score
Hi I am new to home brewing and this is my first thread on HBT. I have a (Belgian)Scotch Ale in secondary right now and plan on bottling next weekend. I got some dark belgian candy sugar to prime with. The guy at the LHBS said 5 oz would do the job for a 5 gallon batch. I checked it out on Palmers website and it looks like he recommends 2.5-3 oz (assuming I am reading his chart correctly and candy sugar is the same as cane sugar). Does anyone have any experience priming with this type of sugar? What is best so I don't end up bombs or duds? Thanks for the help guys n gals.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

I'm not too familiar with the candi-sugar. If it is a solid, I'd treat it like it was cane sugar. If it is liquid, treat it like it is honey, or other syrup.

In checking Palmer, I get about 4.75 ozs of cane sugar for a beer stored at 65 F, and 3 volumes.

You will only have 2 volumes if you use 2.5 ozs of sugar. I assume it is Belgian. They are usually carbed on the high side.

I answered it :). I often search for things that I am looking for and then if there are unanswered posts that I can answer, Ill hit those up too. Now, I am researching gluten free beer styles using Candi Sugar and other techniques.

There is absolutely no reason to prime with candi sugar. It won't add any flavor and it's WAY more expensive than any other priming method.

Latest posts

Back