Brew with freshly harvested hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardsly

Reaction score
So I got my hop rhizomes in the ground and one of them is starting to poke it's way through the dirt (stoked). I was just wondering if I need to dry the hop cones out later this summer/fall before using them. I know they need to be dried out to store for any length of time but I can't find any info about if I can just use them right away.

Are there any conversions that need to be made? Also will the hop flavor be different at all?

I'm growing Crystal and Magnum hops.

They weigh a ton more wet.

They can be used fresh.

Fresh can impart a "grassy" flavor. (didn't notice this in my fresh hop brew 2 yrs ago)

I love wet hop beers. I've got a second year cascade looking good. From what I hear though, you have to use waaaaaay more hops, like 10 times. Anybody know?

What variety and how many did you plant?

Most varieties produce a very minimal amount of flowers the first year. I planted 3 my first year and got a small bowl worth of flowers.

But yes, you can pick them and use them immediately no problem. Fresh or Wet hopped ale is one of my favorite Pale Ales.

I just planted hops for the first time as well. I'm also wondering about conversions like the OP.. So if I have a recipe that calls for 1oz of dried pellets, would I just use 1oz of my dried flowers?

.....I am surprised the old "OK for aroma, DO NOT use for bittering" hasn't come out. it is impossible to calculate IBU's.

That is why the "surprise" Harvest APA is my goto.

I boil for 90, tossing in hops every few minutes as I feel like it throughout the 90 minutes.

Good damned fun if you ask me.

First year ended up as a mild ESB, Last year was a IIPA, but I never knew until I had the first sip.

If you like exact specifications and obsessive notes, DON'T GROW HOPS.

.....I am surprised the old "OK for aroma, DO NOT use for bittering" hasn't come out. it is impossible to calculate IBU's.

That is why the "surprise" Harvest APA is my goto.

I boil for 90, tossing in hops every few minutes as I feel like it throughout the 90 minutes.

Good damned fun if you ask me.

First year ended up as a mild ESB, Last year was a IIPA, but I never knew until I had the first sip.

Ahhhh! I guess I didn't realize this! It's good to know. I have no problem with the "just keep tossing more in" method..

You could always make some wort and split it up equally amongst however many hop varieties you have + a commericial hop with a known AA%. Then you can compare the relative bitterness given a constant weight of each hop variety. In the end, it's all about the perceived bitterness more so than an actual IBU number.

you can't determine with absolute certainty what the AA% is (unless you have it lab tested). you can, however, come up with a decent estimate. check out the speadsheet in my sig, it has AA% ranges for each hop variety. chances are good anything you grow will be within that range. so you might not know if your chinook is 10% or 14% but you can estimate it to be 12% and work with that. it'll get you in the ball-park. if you're a hop-head go heavier than the estimate indicates, if you're not into heavy bitterness/favor/aroma go lighter. done and done.

true dat. well said. gotta be ready to roll with the surprises.

isn't brewing wonderful? :mug:

Fresh (wet) hop ales are a Fall celebration up here. 5-6 times as much by weight is the zone.

My first year I made an All Hops ale. Wasn't enough of anything to make more than one batch. Since 50% of the harvest was from Cascade, it was a Pale.

Hint: keep some back for 'dry' hopping. Stick them in your freezer in a bag and add them a couple days before bottling. There are very light oils that would be driven off by the drying process. They make the aroma special.

Sweetcell.. Thanks for the comparison table!

David 42, so just to make sure I understand... You're freezing "wet" hops for "dry" hoping? The freezing doesn't turn them to mush??

Tell me more about these solvents, because I might have access to a spectrometer due to my occupation as a biology student.

Got a method?

Tell me more about these solvents, because I might have access to a spectrometer due to my occupation as a biology student.

Got a method?

Alpha and Beta Acids in Hops
(reference: ASBC MoA. 8th edition, 1992)
Method
1. Place 5.000 +/- .001 gr pulverized hops in an extraction bottle and add 100 mL toluene.
2. Shake for 30 min with vigorous agitation.
3. Let stand until clear or centrifuge (preferred).
4. Dilution A: Dilute 5.0 ml of this extract to 100 mL with methanol.
5. Dilution B: Dilute an aliquot of the dilution A with alkaline methanol (0.2 mL 6M NaOH per 100 mL MeOH) so that the Abs at 325 and 355 falls within the most accurate range of the instrument (usually between 0.1 and 1)
6. Immediately read dilution B (1 cm) at 275, 325 and 355 vs a toluene blank that was prepared and diluted in EXACTLY the same manner.
Notes:
? Hexane may be substituted for toluene
Calculations:
Dilution factor, d= (volume dil A x volume dil B)/ (500 x aliq extract A x aliq dil A)
% alpha acids= d x (-51.56 A355+ 73.79 A325-19.07 A275)
% beta acids= d x (55.57 A355-47.59 A325 + 5.10 A275)
Example:
1. 5 gr hops extracted with 10 mL toluene
2. 5 mL clear extract diluted to 100 mL with methanol=Dilution A
3. 3 mL Dilution A diluted to 50 mL with alkaline methanol
4. Absorbances
o A355=0.615
o A325= 0.596
o A275=0.132
d = (100 x 50) / (500 x 5 x 3) = 0.667
alpha = 0.667 x [ -(51.56 x 0.615) + (73.79 x 0.596) - (19.07 x 0.132) = 6.5
beta = 0.667 x [ (55.57 x 0.615) - (47.59 x 0.596) + (5.10 x 0.132) = 4.3

Jagec you are wonderful. That's going in my brew reference book once I get my typewriter working again.

If you plan on storing them they should be dried. I did this with a dehydrator on the lowest setting. Worked great and trasted great.

I was planning on popping a screen off of my window and propping it on wood blocks on the roof to get those warm dry updrafts. Should work fairly well if it's not too hot out.

I was planning on popping a screen off of my window and propping it on wood blocks on the roof to get those warm dry updrafts. Should work fairly well if it's not too hot out.

I'd be inclined to put another screen on top in case it gets gusty :tank:

and propping it on wood blocks on the roof to get those warm dry updrafts.
to be clear: you don't want to dry your hops in the direct sun. sunlight damages the hops once they've been picked. all drying should be done indoors, away from direct line of sight of the great ball of fire in the sky.

I have used a box fan, air conditioning filters, and elastic bands to make a fruit dehumidifier before. I believe that the same principal should apply here.

Anyone have a recipe they have tried with green hops? A friend of mine has a bunch of Cascade growing in his backyard and has offered them up for a homebrew. I've only been brewing for about two years, and never tasted a beer with fresh, green hops. I'm intrigued enough to give it a shot, but I don't have a good feel for what would work well. Any suggestions?

I liked the "toss'em" all in comment... but if your beer comes out hoppier than you can drink there are two things you can do... Brew another batch and blend them (I do this all the time).. or put it away in a nice, cool, dark place... Once a month try a bottle or pour some from the keg... you will notice the beer change over time,, becoing smoother and more "complicated".

Back