Coppery taste in red ales? How to replicate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbobbert

Reaction score
Some copper ales and red ales have a slight copper taste to them that I enjoy. Does anyone know how to get this in a home brew?

try adding extract of copper from the local blacksmith :cross:

I actually detest that flavor and have dumped beers in which I tasted it! Sorry I couldn't help, but I am interested in knowing what it is so I can avoid it.

Specialty grains and hop combinations. Smell some of the specialty grains at your LHBS. Victory malt and some others add an interesting grain profile, and some are used in Amber ales. Honey malt adds some sweetness. the smell will hint what they will add to the beer. Check flavor profiles of different hops too. Using a hop with earthiness could maybe help. Or spice instead of floral.

You could also try googling for clones of the beers you like to see what is in them, and narrow down on how much you'll have to experiment to get what you want.

Back