Belgian IPA Recipe Feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wittmania

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on the recipe below. Ideally, I imagine it will be very similar to a New Belgium Belgo (Belgian IPA). Floral, dry but with just a *touch* of honey sweetness, and a bit spicy without being too "Belgian." I mean, I like horse blanket as much as the next guy, but that's not what I'm looking for at the forefront of this beer. I'm also going with Cascade throughout to give it the signature Pacific Northwest feel that most American IPAs exhibit.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.04 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 57.9 IBUs
Estimated ABV: 7.5%
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 52.1 %
5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 37.2 %
12.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.6 %
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.9 %
3.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 57.9 IBUs
7.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 3.3 %
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Bastogne Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP510 Yeast 8 -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 7.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 16.25 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Notes: Planning on a 3 week primary at 70*, and then a week to dry hop in the primary at around that same temp.

I think it looks good. I'd start my fermentation temp lower to get a cleaner taste. I'd start at 64 and then ramp up to 70 over 3-4 days. You don't want too much esters. For my taste, I'd probably mix in some Simcoe and/ or Amarillo hops to add some complexity and give it an even more northwest feel. I've always wanted to make a Belgo clone, so let me know how it turns out. The one thing I could never decide on was the type of begian yeast to use. I was thinking the Chimay derived strain, because I think that's where new belgium's started from.

For Belgian IPA's I like WLP550, the Achouffe yeast. I Like to ferment at slightly cooler temperatures than I normally would for a straight up Belgian and I like to use a mix of noble and American hops or use American versions of noble hops.
Using restraint in both the flavor contributed by the yeast and the American hop character are key to success in this style I think. I've had a number of examples where brewers have gone over the top with one or both and those two assertive flavors just don't work well together in my opinion.

As with most beers, balance is what you're after.
Having said that, I think your recipe will be fine. If it were mine I might mix in some EKG.

Thanks for the tips, both of you. I agree with fermenting cooler to keep it from getting too estery. I think you're both right that balance is the key to the success of a beer like Belgo. That's one of the thoughts behind the single hop approach, too. It will keep the bitterness a bit more simple and uniform, leaving the complexity to come from the mingling of the Cascade hops and the Bastogne yeast.

Back