My Rolling Portable Keg Dispensing Unit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpr121

Reaction score
Heres some pics of my progress on my adaptation of the rolling kegerater. This will be used for tailgates, parties, concerts, etc. It fits one corny perfectly fine (with room for ice and probably some additional beers). It is sooo close to being able to fit 2 corneys that I may eventually do some hacking of the insulation to get em to squeeze in there.

Havent completely decided how I am going dispense from this, but for now it will just be a picnic tap out the back. Gonna have it ready for the Pirates home opener tailgate (try to get wasted so I don't have to pay attention to the game).

This is just the start. I still need to add a hinge to the top, add panel insulation to the interior, and drill a hole for the tap. I also need to figure a way to somewhat temporarily but securely fasten the wooden box to the cooler. I want to be able to throw the factory lid back on fairly easily when I need to.

201737_10100975379797954_9361817_80496001_7054784_o.jpg

201579_10100975387253014_9361817_80496134_358318_o.jpg

194337_10100975383869794_9361817_80496047_3069426_o.jpg

Nice. :mug:

I am wondering if something simple like some adjustable straps with hooks would work for temporarily attaching your box? A couple brackets on the outside to attach the strap to on each side.

You could also add some cheap wood molding to fill those gaps on the inside corner. Maybe a lip around the lid with molding to help the seal?

Picnic tap should be perfect. At a tailgate party, after 4-5 beers, nobody is gonna care that it is not a nice Perlick! :tank:

Seems to me that you would have been better just building a double walled wooden box and used insulation board in between the walls. Or even Wood outside and fiberglass the inside so it is waterproof.

It is going to be kind of difficult to attach that top.

But hey, good luck, I hope it works because that is a great idea!

Nice. :mug:

I am wondering if something simple like some adjustable straps with hooks would work for temporarily attaching your box? A couple brackets on the outside to attach the strap to on each side.

You could also add some cheap wood molding to fill those gaps on the inside corner. Maybe a lip around the lid with molding to help the seal?

Picnic tap should be perfect. At a tailgate party, after 4-5 beers, nobody is gonna care that it is not a nice Perlick! :tank:

Thanks for the response. I am hoping that the insulation board will cover up those gaps. They are less than 1 inch thick. Although your suggestion did give me an idea. I could create a lip that dropped down into the cooler on 2 or all sides. Then that would give me something to anchor screws or bolt into from the outside of the cooler wall. It wont be in the spirit of "keeping it factory", but it wont be completely gutted either. I think two bolts on the left and right side would work well.

Dunno if I'll be able to do that before tomorrow, so I may use your strap idea as well!

Yeah the more I think about it, Im gonna stick with a picnic tap. I'd rather spend the money on new brew equipment or ingredients.

Seems to me that you would have been better just building a double walled wooden box and used insulation board in between the walls. Or even Wood outside and fiberglass the inside so it is waterproof.

It is going to be kind of difficult to attach that top.

But hey, good luck, I hope it works because that is a great idea!

Those sound like alot more work, and I had the cooler sitting around anyhow. I appreciate the suggestions though. I am pretty sure that my bolt idea should work for attaching the top. Either that or some kind of latch that I can attach to the cooler.

I may have to end up skinning the inside of the box with fiberglass or maybe some FRP paneling. I dunno how well that foamboard will do in wet/humid environments.

For tommorrow I dont even think I am going to insulate it. Its only going to be high 50's and clouds/rain. That will give me an idea about how much splashing takes place while rolling (shouldnt be much). Since the wood is hardwood ply, shouldnt have many issues with moisture yet.

I'm adding a removable collar to mine, to allow either 3 or 5 gallon kegs to be used:

PDR_0185_2_.jpg

IMAG0017.JPG

IMAG00161.JPG

I'm considering either metal "flip latches" or velco straps to hold the collar and lid together.

Hey Cpt, your build is actually what inspired me to do this. Are those kegs the same diameter of 5 gallon cornys? I wasnt able to get two kegs in mine unless I really pushed them down hard. It felt like I would break the plastic liner so I didnt go that far. Plus it was hard to get them back out.

Heavy Duty Velcro sounds like a great idea! I might pick some up for the tailgate tomorrow.

Hey Cpt, your build is actually what inspired me to do this. Are those kegs the same diameter of 5 gallon cornys? I wasnt able to get two kegs in mine unless I really pushed them down hard. It felt like I would break the plastic liner so I didnt go that far. Plus it was hard to get them back out.

Heavy Duty Velcro sounds like a great idea! I might pick some up for the tailgate tomorrow.

The kegs fit in TIGHT, there is only one way to fit them, you have to move them around and find the sweet spot.

I like having two kinds of brew. Plus, it has two taps.

:mug:

That is a 70 quart cube, right?

You can't fit 2 kegs in a 60 quart for love or money, I've tried.

Hot Damn, I believe it is a 60 quart. Ahhhhhh, that makes me sad. I wonder if the top will fit on a 70? It is obviously wider, but it might still work.

Man, that stinks. When does 10 quarts equal 5 gallons?!? :(

I GOT IT!

After a little thought I found what I think is the PERFECT solution for this.

Toggle clamps http://www.reidsupply.com/GrpResults.aspx?pid=10022565&aitm=NSH-2051&apid=10022565

Keep the movable on the wood. You will have to screw on a little block to make it even with the inside of the cooler but put the stationary part inside the cooler. This will give you the ability to undo the collar in 4 seconds and attach in just a couple more seconds.

I GOT IT!

After a little thought I found what I think is the PERFECT solution for this.

Toggle clamps http://www.reidsupply.com/GrpResults.aspx?pid=10022565&aitm=NSH-2051&apid=10022565

Keep the movable on the wood. You will have to screw on a little block to make it even with the inside of the cooler but put the stationary part inside the cooler. This will give you the ability to undo the collar in 4 seconds and attach in just a couple more seconds.

Yepp, that is exactly what I was thinking. I use these things to keep my DIY kegerator door closed.

I picked up heavy duty velcro and super glue today at lunch. I think that will do for tomorrows tailgate.

For the Blue-White spring game, I will have the toggle clamps installed. And it will also be stained/painted. Thinking some chalkboard paint on the top/front to display whats on tap!

Yepp, that is exactly what I was thinking. I use these things to keep my DIY kegerator door closed.

I picked up heavy duty velcro and super glue today at lunch. I think that will do for tomorrows tailgate.

For the Blue-White spring game, I will have the toggle clamps installed. And it will also be stained/painted. Thinking some chalkboard paint on the top/front to display whats on tap!

I think that will make it a pretty bad ass piece of equipment.

My only fear is that you don't make it so that to clamps are too tight. They might buckle the plastic where the screws go in. Unless it is really think walled cooler.

Go for it man.

I think that will make it a pretty bad ass piece of equipment.

My only fear is that you don't make it so that to clamps are too tight. They might buckle the plastic where the screws go in. Unless it is really think walled cooler.

Go for it man.

Yepp I had the same issues with my kegerator. Ended up having to re-attach the clamps a few times. The cooler walls are not very thick. I think it only needs to be barely holding, its not like its going to see major torsion forces (wait, theres always a chance of that around a keg). I think the combo of velcro and spring latches will work just fine.

Okay heres the progress. The hinges were a bit of pain, but I think they will work. Also I painted the bottom cooler blue, and I plan to paint the top wood blue as well, and add the chalkboard paint to a framed area on top or front, havent decided yet. We'll see how it works tomorrow!

CIMG0006.jpg

CIMG0005.jpg

CIMG0004.jpg

CIMG0007.jpg

subscribed....

ive been looking for a good cheap portable solution that will fit in the trunk of a 350z...what are the dimensions of the cooler and box separately?

im working on a portable kegerator too. Im doing mine with the keg blanket and pocket C02 though. Right now I can dip the picnic tap tube through ice inside the jacket like a jockey box and back up to serve. Or coil it around the corny. Yesterday I bought a quick connect facet so I have that option now too.

I want to do one like this but I couldnt find a rolling cooler tall enough. I guess problem solved this way.

im working on a portable kegerator too. Im doing mine with the keg blanket and pocket C02 though. Right now I can dip the picnic tap tube through ice inside the jacket like a jockey box and back up to serve. Or coil it around the corny. Yesterday I bought a quick connect facet so I have that option now too.

I want to do one like this but I couldnt find a rolling cooler tall enough. I guess problem solved this way.

I made a "ghetto jockey box" a while back. Just a gallon zip lock bag, full of ice, with a 10 foot coil of beer line inside. Worked surprisingly well on a REALLY hot summer weekend.

I made a "ghetto jockey box" a while back. Just a gallon zip lock bag, full of ice, with a 10 foot coil of beer line inside. Worked surprisingly well on a REALLY hot summer weekend.

And the beer was warm to start with?

I love this idea... looks like I have a new summer project! I'm thinking I might just skirt the whole cooler though for appearances.

Thanks, I love the ideas this place comes up with.

The tailgate, and the kegerator, was a success. Worked great, no foam even on the first pour after a 20 minute ride and 15 minute roll across the parking lot. The only issue I had was that I ran out of CO2 with about 5 beers left. I knew I shoulda got it filled but noone was open at 730 AM. I think I may have had a small leak in the gas line somewhere. O well, the reason I know it was 5 beers is because we ended up opening the top of the keg and just pouring them in cups (everyone liked the American Red I guess)!

I'll grab dimensions tonight, since I left the wole thing in the back of my buddies explorer.

You CAN run a jockeybox with a warm keg, it's just a bit trickier.

To maintain carbonation in a warm keg, you need much more pressure. Figure on your keg being at around 26 PSI for 2.4 vol at 70F, more PSI if it's even warmer. Then, you have to dissipate all that pressure. The coil helps somewhat, but it's usually 1/4 or larger, so figure on needing 15-20 ft. of 3/16" beer line in addition.

With that in place, it SHOULD work.

Worked great, no foam even on the first pour after a 20 minute ride and 15 minute roll across the parking lot.

thanks for this info. I was thinking under pressure the bouncing wouldnt make it foam more but you just proofed it for me. I got mine i am gonna hook u pand drive around on my golf cart so I was worried.

The only issue I had was that I ran out of CO2 with about 5 beers left. I knew I shoulda got it filled but noone was open at 730 AM.

As an Engineer, I believe in BACKUPS.

I carry an extra paintball bottle, plus I have one of those little CO2 injectors.

Beats popping the lid and drinking from the keg.

;)

I carry an extra paintball bottle, plus I have one of those little CO2 injectors.

;)

Haha, I am an Ingineer as well, not a very good one I suppose! I usually have backups, it just slipped my mind the night before. I will DEFINITELY have a backup tank in the car for the Blue-White game next weekend.

It was kinda cool pouring the beer outta the keg though, made me feel good that people liked it so much they wouldnt let it go.

thanks for this info. I was thinking under pressure the bouncing wouldnt make it foam more but you just proofed it for me. I got mine i am gonna hook u pand drive around on my golf cart so I was worried.

I believe the key is a long beer line and low serving pressure. Mine is about 12 feet. Even so, I had the CO2 regulated at about 8 psi (at least for the times it was working). I would imagine that I could have pumped it up to 12 or 15 psi for faster pouring after the first few beers.

i am goign to use the portable c02 pocket thing. Im not sure if I can regulate the pressure. Never used one. I only have one bottle now so i gotta get it right the first time.

i am goign to use the portable c02 pocket thing. Im not sure if I can regulate the pressure. Never used one. I only have one bottle now so i gotta get it right the first time.

In that case I would leave it unhooked while you are carting around town, then just apply a few 'shots' when you are ready to serve. I think the key is keeping the pressure as low as possible. And make sure you have backup cartridges.

;)

I've been toying with the idea of a back up air pump (I expect the kegs to come back empty anyways) in the event that my paintball bottle is unexpectedly empty. Although, I suppose the little co2 injectors would be less trouble.

I've been toying with the idea of a back up air pump (I expect the kegs to come back empty anyways) in the event that my paintball bottle is unexpectedly empty. Although, I suppose the little co2 injectors would be less trouble.

Yes! Believe me this thought came to mind yesterday amongst us engineers. We were ready to hack the gas line and hook a tire inflator up before we decided to just pour it out of the keg. It was more manly that way.

An air pump would be simple. Just a gas QD with vinyl line, then you can either hose clamp or MFL to an air compressor or hand pump.

You have to be CAREFUL with the little CO2 injectors.

Do not screw it onto the disconnect, unless the disconnect is on the keg.

If the injector is on the disconnect, the disconnect is not on the keg, and you pull the trigger, the disconnect will EXPLODE. And trust me, that plastic disc HURTS when it hits you. It gave me a black thumbnail and gouged my leg.

:(

Haha, I am an Ingineer as well, not a very good one I suppose! I usually have backups, it just slipped my mind the night before. I will DEFINITELY have a backup tank in the car for the Blue-White game next weekend.

It was kinda cool pouring the beer outta the keg though, made me feel good that people liked it so much they wouldnt let it go.

Ah, so this bad boy is going to be coming out this way next weekend, huh? What beers are you planning on bringing?

Ah, so this bad boy is going to be coming out this way next weekend, huh? What beers are you planning on bringing?

It will be there, in all its glory, at 8 AM at whatever IM field they are parking! If you happen to see it, stop and say hi! I think we will be bringing either my Youghiogheny Wit or Haus Pale Ale, or maybe both!

You have to be CAREFUL with the little CO2 injectors.

Do not screw it onto the disconnect, unless the disconnect is on the keg.

If the injector is on the disconnect, the disconnect is not on the keg, and you pull the trigger, the disconnect will EXPLODE. And trust me, that plastic disc HURTS when it hits you. It gave me a black thumbnail and gouged my leg.

:(

damn, I guess i need to mess with it prior to pint 1 then. So you have to manually pull the trigger each time to apply pressure? Is that why people try to use the tank instead so you dont have to babysit the C02 handheld? I know i should just try it, but I am at work and bored.

Back