First brew tomorrow?! Questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amity

Reaction score
So I'm hoping to attempt my first brew tomorrow. I bought a Black Rock brewing kit to get started so that I at least know the principals before I start messing around with ingredients.

Just so that I'm clear about the procedures, I'm looking for feedback.

0. Sanitize bucket, siphon, hydrometer, carboy, airlock, plug, etc...

1. Warm & empty the brew mixture into my primary fermenter (plastic bucket with lid). Add water to 23L.Mix & ensure temp is in the 70s. Add yeast. Mix again. Take hydrometer reading.

2. Siphon into carboy. Insert air lock & fill half with water. Allow fermentation to begin.

3. When fermentation slows, take hydrometer readings. Q: I remove the air lock and take a sample by using the siphon?
When the SG readings are consistent and between 1.004 and 1.019, prepare for bottling (sanitize, etc)

4. Prime with priming solution in bucket (rack back to bucket from Carboy). Bottle & seal.

5. Place bottles in warm, dark location for 2 + weeks.

6. Consume.

7. Repeat above.

Right? Am I missing something here? I've done so much reading in the last few days that I"m beginning to confuse myself.

I take it you are doing a prehopped can kit? If so, you've pretty much got it. I'd leave it in your primary for 2 weeks minimum to let the yeasties clean up after themselves. You should leave the bottles at 70 degrees for 3 weeks then start drinking.

It sounds like your carboy is actually your secondary. I'd leave it in there for 2 weeks as well for clearing/dropping of the yeast.

Then...RDWHAMB

:tank:

Looks decent. I'm assuming you are using a no-boil kit here since you don't say anything about that. The big thing I noticed, and maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but after you pitch your yeast in the primary fermenter (step 1 above), leave it alone for at least a week. Two weeks is better. Also, take your hydrometer reading before you pitch the yeast. Then, once fermentation is done (and by done I mean that the SG readings from your hydrometer are the same for 3 days) rack the beer to your carboy. The carboy is sometimes called a secondary fermenter, but NO FERMENTATION should take place here. It is only a clearing tank. Search for the 1-2-3 method. There are many posts about it. Hope this helps.

Yes, I am using a no-boil, prehopped kit.

My primary fermenter is a white plastic bucket with a lid that fits, but is not an air-tight seal (and no spot for an air lock). This is correct? I have a carboy with an airlock, which I rack into after a week or two in the primary.

For the record, I have two white buckets and lids, and two glass carboys. I presume that I should use the bucket as a primary, and a carboy as a secondary? Then to bottle, I prime in the bucket again and rack to the bottles.

I'm feeling better already. Thanks for your advice and corrections! :)

i think what you are doing is mixing in the primary to get everything mixed well. take hydro reading. pitch yeasr and cover with lid. the lid should have a gromet and whole in it. if not they may not have given you the right lid. since you have two carboys id mix in the primary then rack to one of the sanitized carboys for fermentation. after 2 weeks you can either let set another 2 weeks or move to secondary carboy. contact the company that sold you the starter kit and tell them there isnt a airlock hole.

Yeah, I figured that out last night when i was in bed thinking.

I mixed the extract, yeast, water, etc. in the bucket, then racked into sanitized carboy & sealed it with the air lock.

I bought the equipment second hand. The LHBS only sells the buckets w/o airlocks afaik. Not a problem for me... I like the idea of the carboy anyhow. :)

All is good, and in the primary right now!! :)

Mike

Those buckets aren't useless. You can drill a hole in the lids and put some rubber grommets in them. I think just about every brew site sells the rubber grommets.

:tank:

Back