Bottling beer for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brutto12

Reaction score
Have a quick question about bottling beer. I recently bottled and caped my first batch of beer yesterday and unknowingly but it in the fridge, after reading this blog this morning I took it out and brought it back down to temperature is my beer ok ? it is in 22oz bottles ? also is the carbonation process longer in 22oz bottles 3 weeks ?

You're fine. Let the bottles sit for 3 weeks, chill and serve. The volume of the bottle does not affect the amount of time it takes to carbonate.

You're fine. Let the bottles sit for 3 weeks, chill and serve. The volume of the bottle does not affect the amount of time it takes to carbonate.

Don't want to start an argument here, but I have to disagree. I tend to think that 22oz and larger bottles take about a week longer to properly carbonate and condition. The beer will probably carbonate in 3 weeks, but with the bigger bottles, I would personally wait 4 weeks if I was in your position.

I have an Irish Sweet stout (my 3rd batch) currently sitting in the fermenter. This weekend I will go to the local homebrew store, which I am beginning to enjoy less and less btw, and pick up some caps and a bottler.

I have been saving the brown Guiness and Samuel Adams bottles for a few weeks. I figure I will bottle, cap and leave in a dark room-temperature area for as long as I can stand it, or 2 weeks, whichever comes first. Stick them in the fridge for another few days and...

I have an Irish Sweet stout (my 3rd batch) currently sitting in the fermenter. This weekend I will go to the local homebrew store, which I am beginning to enjoy less and less btw, and pick up some caps and a bottler.

I have been saving the brown Guiness and Samuel Adams bottles for a few weeks. I figure I will bottle, cap and leave in a dark room-temperature area for as long as I can stand it, or 2 weeks, whichever comes first. Stick them in the fridge for another few days and...

The longer you wait, the better your beer will taste in the end! I had an Oberon clone that was my second brew and I was leaving for vacation 2 weeks after bottling. So I cracked one open and it was carbonated and it tasted very good as well. However, after being gone on vacation and letting my bottles sit for another 10 days, I cracked another one open and was amazed at how much better it tasted! :mug: I also had a Fat Tire clone that tasted hella better after waiting the extra week... :rockin:

As for the 22 oz. bottles taking longer, I have about sixty 22 oz. bottles I have from brewing at a brew your own store so I am eventually going to be using those so I will see if it actually takes longer to carbonate in larger bottles. IMO, I wouldn't think 22 oz. bottles would take much longer than 12 oz. bottles to carbonate but I soon will find out I guess... :)

You have to give the yeast time to eat the sugar that you are adding and then time in the fridge for the yeast to settle out. There is no set in stone time period for this. Your beer is ready when it is ready.

It can take longer to carb & condition depending on gravity & how dark it is,ime. 3 weeks is average time for average gravity ales. It can take longer to carb & condition. Then I've found that 2 weeks fridge time gives thicker head & longer lasting carbonation.

Back