Length of storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thnx, i pretty sure my beer won't last that long,but i an going to save about 6 from each batch to consume later down the road., Just didnt want to ruin the beer by having it sit too long.

I think that I've recently pinned down a problem with some of my batches that results in terrible tasting brew after about 5 months in the bottle... it's the liquid malt extract.

I don't think LME in general does this, but the particular brand of LME that my LHBS sells seems to have this problem. I'm no longer going to use that brand of LME... in fact, I don't plan to use LME at all anymore because I personally think DME makes a better tasting beer in general.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw that out there for your information.

-walker

I've got a batch of Belgian Xmas beer (made from extract) that will turn 10 years old in December. It's always been stored in the dark and the cold.

I'll advise when it actually starts to go bad, but so far it's just getting better.

I have a Fat Tire Clone in my primary, and the reciepie says to "lay down" the beer for up to 6 month to copy the true Fat Tire taste.

If you avoid oxidizing your beer than it should keep for quite a long time. Heck, I'm not even that careful with HSA and aeration in general and I haven't run across a cardboard taste yet though my beers never see their first birthday. It generally takes me 5 weeks from brew day until I crack open that first bottle. As soon as the next batch is ready then I start drinking it and save some from the last batch. It always makes me sad when a month or three down the road I decide to return to one of the saved beers and find it to be vastly improved over how it was when I drank the majority of it - too bad I usually have less than 10 bottles or so left at that point...

Unlike the crap that bud sells with the born on date real beer actually gets better with age. The general view is that the darker and more complex the beer the more it will benefit from aging. Aging also helps spiced beers mellow out and blend - the coriander I used in my wit beer now imparts a smooth taste that goes quite well where as I was a bit concerned I had used to much when I cracked open that first bottle about 1 month ago.

I tried some of my 'saved' bottles last week. These were over 11 months old and they were great. I was concerned that a 'lighter' beer such as an APA or Kolsh would not last as long as a porter or stout but I was wrong. These were better than when I was drinking the majority of the batch.

I can't seem to get my beer to last that long. I think it is because I drink it!!!
I do have 1 bottle left from my 1st ever batch that I brewed back in October. I plan on cracking it on St Patrick's day.

I do have a batch of stout that went horribly wrong, but I have not dumped it yet, because it is gradually getting better. I checked the bottles last night, and it appears to still be active, since I now have a line around the inside of the neck where it appears that yeast have been eating up all the leftover sugars. I screwed up this brew by adding waaaay too much extract, and it has thus earned the name Mobil-1 Stout. I am going to let it keep going in the bottles and see what it is like at the 6 month mark.

I've had beers from pale ales to strong ales last over two years without going bad and most have improved over that time. I think storage is key. Mine are stored in the basement in the dark at about 65 degrees year round.

the jalepeno chocolate ale brewed in december is only now good tasting as opposed to too hot.
too bad only one bottle left

Back