Comet Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ong

Reaction score
I kept reading about how "some find Comet's 'wild American' character offputting," so I decided to give it a try myself, as a fan of both wildness and offputtingness!

9 lb. 2-row
1 lb Crystal 15
1 lb Rye Malt

.5 oz Simcoe, 60 min
1 oz Comet, 20 min
1 oz Comet, 5 min
1 oz Comet, flameout
1 oz Comet, dry hop 7 days

1 pkg US-05

This was a 5 gallon BIAB batch, with around 77% efficiency. Mashed at 152°.

NOTES: So, this is definitely a powerful hop -- despite using pretty much my standard APA additions, it's got the aroma and taste of many of my IPAs. I would say the flavor and aroma are most like Chinook, with very heavy grapefruit zest, but also a good bit of pineapple, and a trace of soapiness. A really nice beer, although I find myself following it up with something a bit more subdued rather than another pint of the Comet. The beer never quite cleared -- probably a combination of the rye and some chill haze. I'd brew this again, although I might back down the bittering addition to keep the IBUs around 40-45 instead of the 52 this one came out to.

Thanks for this! I picked up 4 oz of comet on sale at Farmhouse and was wondering what to do with it. Appreciate the review!

Thanks for the feedback. I've use Comet twice now, and still have more than half a pound of comet leaf in the freezer from last year.

It's a potent hop, very, very... "dank".. I like the Chinook comparison, but it's not as sharp, but much more dank, but does have that citrusy bitter zest flavor to it.

I used it in a dry hop of a DIPA and pretty much made the beer almost hard to drink it was so over the top. Like you, I could only drink 1 pull from the tap before I moved to something lighter to clean my palette.

Back