Tired of pine taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatCity

Reaction score
Whenever I brew with Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe...and of course Chinook, I get a very, very strong pine taste. The citrusy notes get drowned out by the pine, and I'm getting tired of it.

Any hop recommendations that would be citrusy and NOT piney, at all? Also, is there a way of brewing that brings out the pine flavor of these hops more than usual? Because if there is I am most certainly doing that, and should change up my recipes!

Thanks HBT crew!

That's so odd- I've never had pine out of cascade or centennial. Ever.

I rarely get it out of simcoe, but I usually use it with a citrusy hop like amarillo, so that could be it, and chinook is more of a citrusy flavor than pine.

If you get pine out of a brew hopped with all cascade, I don't know what to tell you, as I never have had anything even like a hint of pine out of it.

I think this is one of those times where different palates are detecting different things. I get pine on simcoe, but less so on the C hops.

I wish you would tell me how you do it because getting more pine flavor is something I'm trying to figure out.

Too funny! Maybe it is my water... or I have some super pine-sensitive palette!!

@dutchoven I've used amarillo, but not lately. Good reminder, I should brew with that again soon and it sounds like it doesn't have the piney taste of other hops.

I might also try using bottled water. Would hate to have to do that for every brew, but it would at least help me understand where the flavor is coming from.

Thanks for the feedback all! @stat, my only recommendation if you want more pine taste would be Chinook, which to me tastes like a pine tree.

Centennial and cascade are primarily grapefruit flavors for me. I've had piney flavors in some lagers(not mine, not ready for lagers yet), but I don't know what they used.

Try simcoe/amarillo for flavor and aroma, and bitter with warrior. I've never tasted a more citrusy beer than with that combo.

Cascade and centennial i never get pine,my problem is i always get citrus and dont get pine much, but i also havent been using a couple that i should like magnum(i think) or columbus which my lhbs hasnt had when i want them.I want the herbal,pungent,piney,grassy stuff.
Try citra,palisades...

So, to summarize, you need to use:
Amarillo
Summit
Styrian Goldings
centennial
cascade
simcoe
Apollo
Cascade
citra
palisades

As usual, the internet provides a lot of options. Good luck :)

Maybe you should experiment with a bit of orange peel. Or kumquat. If you want citrus, about half an orange peel would do it for a 5g batch. Add it at 5 min. Zest the peel. I zest a full orage for a wit, but maybe you just want a hint?

Latest posts

Back