Wyeast 1968

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbr226

Reaction score
Greetings....
I brewed my second AG batch of beer (ESB) on Sunday... I started my Wyeast 1968 (Special London) on my stir plate the day before. The yeast looked "clumpy" in the flask, but I looked on here and it seemed like the general consensus was that if it doesn't smell bad, it should be fine. I pitched the yeast @68 degrees and it hasn't done anything. I lifted the top off the bucket and it's foamy, but the airlock is looking dead.... am I just being impatient? I did a Black IPA the weekend before, started the yeast (Wyeast 1056), pitched it and it took off like crazy! I know the yeasts are different, just don't know if this is normal for an ESB with that kind of yeast?

Thanks for any insight...
Cheers,
-mtbr226

Yup, 1968 is clumpy like cottage cheese!

Nothing is wrong other than your bucket not sealing well and the gas is escaping outside of your airlock noted since you have krausen developing.

Try to re-seat the lid but if not no worry
Leave it ferment and take a gravity reading when ready.

Don't go by the airlock activity(it is not a fermentation-o-meter)...every batch is different...let the yeast do their job.

That yeast will look "clumpy" when making a starter...kind of like Egg Drop soup.

Back