Why didnt my cider carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaemonS

Reaction score
Hey guys, I tried my hand at cider for the first time. I used 3-64 of bottles of apple juice, 2 cups of light brown sugar, and Lalvin D47 wine yeast. OG was 1.072. After 3 weeks FG 1.003. I then use carbonation tablets and bottled. 2 weeks later I have no carbonation what so ever. Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong, please let me know.
Thanks Daemon

LAbrewer said:
Is it stored at room temp or ~70?

Yes is been in the closet under the stairs, and my house has been on average 68 degrees

Maybe the bottles were not completely sealed?
I used champagne yeast for my cider and also filled one 12oz plastic soda bottle, after one week the plastic bottle is firm to the squeeze.

Maybe the bottles were not completely sealed?
I used champagne yeast for my cider and also filled one 12oz plastic soda bottle, after one week the plastic bottle is firm to the squeeze.

I use the soda bottle trick too, no activity there.

Google drove me to a review on Northern Brewer regarding the WLP775. One of the five or so reviews pointed out a slow carb time.

Pasting it here with hopes that the funky search engine here will pick it up for future reference:

"Brewed a cider with this yeast and it took a very long time to bottle condition to a drinkable state. After about 3 months in the bottle it started to taste more like a hard cider and less like a beer made out of apples. At six months the cider was very drinkable. Maybe I dis something wrong, but expect a very long bottle conditioning time. I probably won't use this yeast again."

Elsewhere today I found this review, from another brewer that used WLP775:

"Very clear, very tart and very slow fermenting cider, it took over a month to reach a final gravity of 1.012. I primed with 3/4 of a cup of sugar, but never achieved much carbonation. The cider is mellowing nicely over time and should be very drinkable after about 3 months in the bottles."

Interesting, if not a little annoying to learn at this stage in the game.

Oh well, I guess it's just a waiting game and I will never see bubbles. This stuff tastes great, so I'll drink it still but dag...

D47 isn't the most aggressive yeast in the world and since your FG wasn't fermented completely after 3 weeks I'd say you have a stuck fermentation. At this point I would let it sit for another couple weeks, and if it doesn't budge and you have a still sweet cider toss in a little ec-1118 to get things fizzy...or just drink it still.

Inner10 said:
D47 isn't the most aggressive yeast in the world and since your FG wasn't fermented completely after 3 weeks I'd say you have a stuck fermentation. At this point I would let it sit for another couple weeks, and if it doesn't budge and you have a still sweet cider toss in a little ec-1118 to get things fizzy...or just drink it still.

Ya, I'm with you on that Inner, the D47 has given me nothing but problems in the form of stuck fermentations....

Seeing as this thread seems to have slowed down some (last post 2013) I hope you guys don't mind an off/on topic question?

I've just tried my first bottle of cider made from our trees in the back garden (and some from our neighbour's). It's my second batch of cider because I got used to my equipment using a concentrate that came with... That was ok but not so tasty...

Anyway, this bottle I've just opened isn't fizzy! It tastes great but isn't fizzy. Flat as the earth (my little joke that). I think I know why though... After bottling, I took all 30 bottles to the shed so as not to block up the kitchen. I think that's where I've messed up because the temperature hasn't been higher than 14°C (57.2° F) here in North Wales since they've been in the shed.

What do you guys think? Am I right? Is there anything I can do? Bring them in from the cold? Re-bottle them with some more priming sugar and keep warmer for a couple of days this time?

Any help gratefully received,

Billy

Seeing as this thread seems to have slowed down some (last post 2013) I hope you guys don't mind an off/on topic question?

I've just tried my first bottle of cider made from our trees in the back garden (and some from our neighbour's). It's my second batch of cider because I got used to my equipment using a concentrate that came with... That was ok but not so tasty...

Anyway, this bottle I've just opened isn't fizzy! It tastes great but isn't fizzy. Flat as the earth (my little joke that). I think I know why though... After bottling, I took all 30 bottles to the shed so as not to block up the kitchen. I think that's where I've messed up because the temperature hasn't been higher than 14°C (57.2° F) here in North Wales since they've been in the shed.

What do you guys think? Am I right? Is there anything I can do? Bring them in from the cold? Re-bottle them with some more priming sugar and keep warmer for a couple of days this time?

Any help gratefully received,

Billy
Bring them in and warm them up to ~70*F a little higher and lower is ok too...

Thanks Bostrows... Nice kippers... I'll let you know how I get on... Currently thinking where to put them all - there's another batch I've just put in there also...

Thanks RPh Guy, I added 2.5g of brewing sugar to each 500ml bottle... The only sulphites I added were campden tablets 24 hours before I first pitched the yeast... I've brought one bottle in for now and will try it on Sunday... I rolled it a few times to agitate the bits also... I'll let you know how I get on...

Wow... Ok dmtaylor... I'll bring them all in then... 56 bottles! My wife will be delighted I'm sure...

Back