Would you mash in these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I'm sure they would hold up to 150ish deg water. Most of those type barrels are pretty thick. The only concern would be any compounds "leeching" into the wort because of the heat. I know people do ferment in containers like those, but I don't know about mashing. Great prices on them though.

I have a few of the smaller ones (on the left). A neighbor of my parents gets his horse feed in them and sells them for 10 bucks. I use them to hold my grains and work great. I did also ponder the idea of a mash tun, but the bottom does not work well for that. It has a big raised portion that makes a donut shape. For strength I guess. Plus I think it would handle a few hot times, but would not stand the test of time.

I'm mainly worried about the plastic leaching into the plastic. Either way anyone see a problem using it as a fermenter?

I don't know if there is anything particularly bad about these barrels you're showing us, but they look identical to a number of barrels I have seen people use to ferment in. I think aardvark used the blue type to ferment his persimmon wine in. I looked up the thread but the pictures were gone. I'm also pretty sure they're popular with our..umm..corn-loving counterparts if you know what I mean.

Latest posts

Back