Moving hop garden?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlandsbrew

Reaction score
I am adding two more types of hops to my garden and I don't have space where I currently have them, I also want to be able to have a taller pole for them to climb. I have two centenial and two mt. hood that were planted last spring, both did well. If I am able to dig up the plants and move them to a new area before they come out of dormancy will they grow as a first year plant or will I still get better bine growth and yield as they would as 2nd year plants?

You will definitely get better growth this year. Dig a big root ball around the plants and you'll be good. But even if you just got the minimum root ball, I'd say you will get way better growth this year than last.

When you dig them up, you'll see how much bigger the root is compared to the original rhizome. This provides energy and nutrients for re-growing the secondary roots as well as the early bine growth. So, move on.

i'm gonna try mine in an earthbox this year. I've had 2 years of fail so far.

Back