White IPA recipe (similar to Chainbreaker)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewergal98203

Reaction score
I am working on a recipe to brew this week and wanted some feedback from anyone who has tried something similar.

I tried the Chainbreaker at Deschutes in Portland and loved it. I want to yield something similar to that.

"The Ziggy" White IPA
(named after my white doggy)

8 lbs 2 row
2.5 lb white wheat malt
1 lb flaked wheat
.25 Columbus (at 60)
.25 centennial (at 60)
.50 Columbus (at 30)
.25 cascade (at 30)
.25 centennial (at 30)
.25 centennial (at 10)
.25 cascade (at 10)
1 oz coriander seed (at 5)
1 oz sweet dried orange peel (at 5)
.5 oz citra (at 0)
White labs Belgian ale yeast #WLP550

According to beer smith, abv: 7.21% 3 SRMs and 54.3 IBUs.

I'm welcome to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advanced.

I like the recipe! Dud you mean to have two sixty minute Columbus additions though? Also are you thinking about a dry hop? I don't think I would ever make an IPA without a dry hop! How about an ounce each of cascade and citra for 4 days before package in the dry hop step?

I hadn't decided what to dry hop with or how much! I do love Citra.

Oh whoops, no didnt mean to type that twice!

I agree that you should dry hop this. Consider 1 oz of cascade.
I love that you are using a Belgian Ale yeast. I wish I could be there for the tasting.
A word to the wise about Coriander and orange zest. I can't give you #s but I urge you to use very little. I made a Belgian Wit and the coriander and orange zest were overpowering. The advice I read says: If you can identify them in the taste then you have used too much. Be very very subtle with the coriander in particular. Your brew will be easily spoiled by using too much...

That's excellent advice about the coriander! I haven't used it before and was unsure how much to add but I will definitely lean more toward a smaller amount so it doesn't overwhelm the beer.

Oh yes! I thought the esters from the Belgian ale yeast would fit nicely with the coriander/orange.

It will surely depend on the type and quality of the coriander, I have used 1oz per 5 gal batch with great results in a hoegaarden clone, it was twice as much as the recipe called for originally but it didn't come out overpowering. The coriander I used was the whole seed coriander bought from the home brew store I think the brand was brewers best. I then grind it with the coffee grinder and add it and the orange peel to a mesh bag and steep that in the boil for 15' with half and the other half at 5' left in the boil. Let us know how this turns out for you and what you decide to make for the recipe.

Back