What about my water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Six_O_Turbo

Reaction score
I know very little about water chemistry. I just got my water report from the city and this is the result:

Calcium: 25.3 ppm
Sulfate: 28.4 ppm
Magnesium: 10.2 ppm
Chloride: 2.5 ppm
Sodium: 8.9 ppm
Bicarbonate: 85.0 ppm

I'm not sure what the ph is, but my ph strips tell me it is somewhere around 5.6-6.0, but that is cold right out of the hose and I am wondering if it is reading artificially low. I use 5.2 stabilizer for brewing, but am curious as to whether I shoud be using any additives depending on style. I have been brewing amber/brown styles lately, but will be brewing a pale soon as well as a porter later this fall. Any suggestions?

Nice and soft, which is typical of the PNW AFAIK, but a little short of ideal on Ca. We want Ca so our yeast will stay healthy and flocc out when it's done. No need to measure the pH of your water; it will change in the mash dramatically, and that's what we're concerned with.

For the pale, you will want some gypsum for sure and probably some CaCl2. About a gram of gypsum and a fifth of a gram CaCl2 per gallon will get you in the ballpark. You can probably leave out the 5.2 buffer, especially if you measure the mash pH to be where it should be. I'm satisfied if it's 5.0 to 5.5 -- this isn't rocket surgery.

I've never had to correct for too little alkalinity, but it looks like you will want a touch of chalk and CaCl2 for your porter.

This calculator gives hints and is user-friendly:
Brewing Water Chemistry Calculator | Brewer's Friend

Back