ANyone ever use Coffee Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I stumbled upon some Coffee Extract while shopping and a Coffee Porter came to mind. I am not sure if I can use it yet or when I should add it. I am basing this on the fact that there is Organic Agave Syrup in the list of ingredients. If I remember correctly Agave is used to make Tequila. Thoughts?

Ingredients:
Water
Organic Alcohol.
Organic Agave Syrup
Organic Coffee

Coffee + Porter can be a wondrous thing! I tried a brew called Espresso Break at a bar. It was a vanilla porter fortified with espresso vodka up to about 9% abv. I took the AHS vanilla porter and added Van Gogh espresso vodka to it in a 3:1 ratio. It made for a fantastic dessert. Damn, I'm going to have to brew that again.

Anyhow, I'd suggest adding it right before kegging/bottling. That way the flavor isn't lost during boiling or fermentation. How much to add is anybody's guess. If you keg I'd say pour a normal pint first and slowly add the extract to your beer like with a dropper to gauge how much is needed. If you bottle then use whatever directions (if any) are on the extract box in something else to get an idea of how much to use.

I ahve used a java creme extract - coffee and chocolate, with wonderful results. From recipes on this site extracts have been used from 3 - 6 oz per 5 gallon batch at bottling. You could also use a pippet(graduated dropper) and put the extract in per bottle and vary your amounts to find out your tastes.

1.5mL per bottle = 3 oz per 5 gallon batch and so on. This is the route I use so I can have some bottles with subtle flavors and others with eye opening results.

Try your favorite porter at home and put a few drops in to find your taste. Extracts like this are a great way to turn a 5 gallon batch into 4 or 5 different beers!

Back