American Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tflew

Reaction score
3 Gallon Batch

2.5 pounds Sorghum @ flameout
1 pound 6 oz Brown Rice Syrup
1 pound Steel Cut Oats steeped before the boil
.25 oz cascade @ 60 min
.25 oz cascade @ 15 min
Whirlfloc @15 min

Saflager-23

Fermented @ about 55* for 3 weeks
D rest for 2 days
Lager for 4 weeks @ 35*

OG 1.050
FG 1.010

I bottled this beer and was worried about enough viable yeast being around to bottle condition. Ended up not being an issue and even had trouble pouring some of the bottles when I took a couple of them on a trip.

Overall it turned out to be a good basic american lager. Very drinkable, and for my first Lager it really turned out pretty good.

No I pitched at lagering temps. I took out a shelf in my fridge and I basically turned the dial to as warm as it could go(low 50s) and pitched. I left it like that for a week or two, pulled out out for a short D rest then racked it to secondary. Turned the fridge down to as low as it could go(low 30s) and left it for about 4 weeks before bottling.

thanks.. ive been reading where it says to pitch at normal 65 and let ferment for two days then go to 55 and so on.. im going to give this a shot in the next month or so..

Back