La petite orange: should I add orange peel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently brewing La Petite Orange from Northern brewer. I'm curious if you all recommend putting dried orange peel in it and when I should do it?

During boil, primary, or secondary? I actually don't have any now so really it'd have to be during primary or secondary.

Second question is, if I should add orange should it be dried or an actual orange?

Thanks!
Lorne

I add mine at the end of the boil. Also, I add the zest of the orange and not the peel, which includes the white rind. All you need is 2 oranges for a 5 gallon batch and should be available at any grocery store.

Fresh oranges have way more flavor than dried. I have a wheat that I zest 2 oranges, cut off all white peeling, chop 1 of the oranges and throw it in there at flameout. Oh yea, the other orange? I usually eat it.

Good to know thanks all. I didn't have any oranges with me yesterday so I didn't add any :( I guess I'll just need to serve it with orange slices!

Thanks,
Lorne

I added zest and coriander at flameout and could only taste the zest in it for the first month or so... It's been in the keg for several months now and is great.

You could add them now if you wanted. I would not bother with any kind of secondary for this beer. If you added them now I would cover the zest with just enough vodka or grand marnier (if you had it) so it all got wet. let that sit covered for a bit and the drop it into your carboy or bucket.

Hey Guys,

I still haven't had time to get the oranges from the store. I was gonna do so tomorrow. However that would be 9 days after brew day after oranges soak in vodka. Thoughts on if that's too late or not? I plan to leave beer in primary fermenter 3...likely 4 weeks?

Thanks,
Lorne

I'd be careful with zest. I've used it in the past and it came out really tart. It's taken nearly a month and still needs more time conditioning. I only ended up using 1 orange worth of zest for a 23L batch.

Back