Review request: 3-tier brew stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigirishape

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything that fit my needs available online, so I did my best with Sketchup and this is what I came out with. The plan is to build this with either Unistrut, or talk to a local homebrewer who was a professional metalworker to see what cost on a welded frame will be. I'm leaning towards Unistrut so I can reconfigure the stand when I'm ready to go single-tier...

Here's specs:
* Gravity feed
* Keggle HLT
* 70qt Coleman Cooler MLT
* Keggle BK

I currently have one Bayou Classic SP-10 Burner and I will rig something up so I can use this one burner for both HLT and BK until I get the two burner config I have in the diagram.

Any thoughts or comments with regards to the build? My main concern will be using my CFC to get from the BK to the carboy with gravity. I may need to raise up each platform to accommodate a higher BK so I can gravity drain into the carboy. Should I just trim out the BK portion of the stand and set the burner and BK on a table to boil and then gravity feed into the carboy?

Doing this entire diagram makes me realize that it would probably be more cost efficient to just save on the stand and just buy a march pump instead... any thoughts on that option?

I have the Sketchup file I did for this, if anybody wants to play around with it, just let me know.

Thanks in advance all!

brewstand3.1.jpg

brewstand3.2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
it looks good to me. I don't use a cfc, but have talked to others who do and use gravity and they say it works just fine. Just watch your siphon flow, but since you're going lower than your bk, it should be fine.

I like gravity. :D

you might look at extruded aluminum square stock http://www.8020.net/ as an alternate material. It is completely adjustable and easy to work with....it's like a grown up Erector set:D

Mine is built of that and is all gravity fed. The top of the stand is about 81" to go through the garage door. I use up to a 15 gal HLT, 70 qt Coleman Extreme Mash tun and 25 gal BK and a plate chiller. I can gravity feed all the way to the better bottle!.....and it is on wheels.

Here's an earlier shot set up for 5 gallon before I adjusted to allow bigger batches and larger pots. I have also changed the plate chiller mount.

5946588346_903b03ef97_z.jpg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/show-us-your-sculpture-brew-rig-46578/index135.html#post3099066

any clue on the going rate of that 80/20 stuff chezhed? seems it's only available locally from a specific vendor, no Lowes/HD availability, so that makes me worried...

Their own website sells thru ebay....check it out. And often someone or some company will sell a lot of used material on there as well.
Luckily I have access to used basic parts frequently from work....we use the crap out of the stuff to build machine enclosures and such.:eek: I do buy some fasteners and stuff to modify and improve mine.

Latest posts

Back