New Orleans Hole-in-the-Wall Restaurants?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppocrates

Reaction score
I will be venturing to New Orleans early next month. It is pretty easy to ascertain what are the gourmet and classic restaurants. But I want the nitty gritty! Any locals or frequent visitors care to share?

Felix's - http://www.felixs.com/

Right across the street from Acme where there is always a huge line out the door. Usually don't have to wait in line at Felix's and their food is better.

I also like Dickie Brennan's which is right across the street. Couple of good beers on tap. (http://www.bourbonhouse.com/)

Johhny's Po-boys are the best in town. 511 St. Louis St

NOLA has the best food though......you really cannot go wrong. Although touristy you have to have some beignets at Cafe du Mont (1039 Decatur).

Enjoy!

Jason

I like the food at Coop's Place on Decatur. Not the best beer selection though should be able to find something drinkable. Lots of local small places away from the quarter though right now my brain seems to be unable to name them... Lived there first 30 yrs of my life.. you'd think I could remember places better... of course a lot has changed since Katrina.

Oh.. and it's Cafe Du Monde for beignets it's right there at the river across Decatur Street by Jaskson Square.. definitely touristy but even locals do wind up there some.. I try to hit it every time I get down there.

I recommend you go to the Avenue Pub, a 24-hour joint where you'll not only find the city's best beer selection, but also the only menu in town that's catered to the beer on tap. For breakfast, check out the Oak Street Cafe, where a pianist will serenade you as you eat some of the best breakfast food among locals. Tracy's, on Magazine Street, has some amazing poboys, especially the roast beef (it used to be right around the corner and called Parasol's, but they moved a few months back). Liuzza's is a great dinner spot, also quite local, and they serve Abita from huge frozen goblets. So there's breakfast, lunch and dinner, but what about a snack? I recommend Meltdown Popsicles in the Quarter, a gourmet popsicle shop that makes the best damn salted caramel pop I've ever tasted.

While mulate's is not technically a hole in the wall, it is great food. I want to say another place was named jacque-imo's, on oak street. More holey in the wall with kick ass food.

NOLA definitely rocked. Mother's was also really good but on a totally different level - more cafeteria style, but great homestyle cooking.

I Have to second Oak Street Cafe- the Eggs Beauregard is fantastic. Cooter Brown's Tavern on South Carrolton has great beer (about 400 available - http://www.cooterbrowns.com/beers.html ) and fried oysters. While not too much of a hole, Mandina's on Canal Street is a local favorite- cash only. If you're driving, you may want to check out Crazy Johnnie's Steak House in Metarie- they make a filet mignon poboy http://crazyjohnnies.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26 that is worth the minor drive (about 15 min. from the quarter)

Another great breakfast joint that's open late is The Camellia Grill also on S. Carrolton- probably the best greasy spoon around. Also, if you're in town on a Friday, the local brewery, NOLA Brewing does a nice tour at 2:00.

Little thread resurrection but I just got back from NOLA and I would recommend to not going to Cooter Brown's Tavern. They advertise a large beer selection, which is true, but they served me an Orval with a 20oz frosted English pint glass! When I asked for a stemmed glass they looked at me like I was nuts.

Great oyster's though.

Stein's Deli on Magazine. Probably the best beer selection in the city and GREAT sandwiches. (no consumption on premises, though)

Gotta try Bruning's if it's still there. Their crab claws are amazing. My grandparents live in new Orleans and during visits when I was young I'd try my best convince the family to eat there every night.

Frankie and Johnnie's! Best stuffed crab I ever had! And decent beer, too!

glenn514:mug:

Back