Tripel Stuck? Or Slow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budzien

Reaction score
I have a Tripel I brewed that started at 1.082 OG I transferred it to the secondary after 2 weeks and it was at 1.040. It has been there 10 days and has only gone down to 1.032. Any ideas on how to get to the target gravity of 1.010?

Leave it alone. You shouldn't have taken it off the yeast after 2 weeks. The prevailing idea now is that secondary is unnecessary unless the beer style calls for it. In the case of high gravity beers like Tripels, secondary is completely appropriate for long-term storage for aging.

However, you should only secondary after you achieved your desired final gravity. Otherwise you're just taking away a ton of yeast that can quickly get the work done, as well as clean up afterwards.

Also, did you end up adding simple sugars like candi sugar, sucrose, dextrose, etc? Simple sugars are highly fermentable and help the Tripel get its characteristic dryness.

Yeah, I'm still going to say you either took it off the yeast too soon or you should have used a bit more simple sugar.

Either way, let it go. It's still fermenting, albeit slowly, so you really can't call it stuck.

2lbs cane sugar should have been enough unless your mash temp was way too high, so I'd go with option a) took it off yeast too soon. If giving it time and maybe warming it up a little doesn't work, you may have to pitch a nice big starter of some more yeast.

Thank you for your input. I thought Papazian's book said to get it off the yeast bed after 2 weeks or off flavors could develop... I appreciate you correcting me, or I might have screwed up BIG. Thanks

I thought Papazian's book said to get it off the yeast bed after 2 weeks or off flavors could develop...
he also wrote that over a dozen years ago. we've learned a lot since then, and the quality of yeast has greatly improved. for a strong beer like a 1.082, i'd see myself leaving it in primary for 4 weeks if not longer.

he also wrote that over a dozen years ago. we've learned a lot since then, and the quality of yeast has greatly improved. for a strong beer like a 1.082, i'd see myself leaving it in primary for 4 weeks if not longer.

This.

Last time I made a tripel it sat in primary for two months with no secondary and it was heavenly after just another 2 weeks in the keg.

I've left a beer on a yeast cake for 6 months with zero of the mythical "autolysis off-flavors" that some say to beware of even though they pretty much only occur in a commercial brewery with tons upon tons of pressure baring down on the yeast.

If the gravity dropped in the secondary, as you reported, then there are still yeast at work. I'd slowly ramp up the temperature to help the yeast finish. If you can, raise the temp 1F a day until you get to 75-76F. Then leave it at that temp until the gravity stabilizes.

I've never left a tripel more than two weeks in the primary, so I doubt that is the problem.

I do see that the recipe as 11% crystal malt (caravienne) so that could be an issue. What was the mash temp? If you mashed at 150 like the instructions say, it might get lower but if the mash temperature was higher it would struggle mightily to get to 1.010! I don't think even in the best case it would get there, to be honest. Usually that yeast strain can go up to 85% attenuation, but the two pounds of crystal might mean it will not. 1.010 wouldn't happen in that recipe (about 87% attenuation).

Here's a stupid question, what about using a yeast energizer if it appears to stop fermenting?

Here's a stupid question, what about using a yeast energizer if it appears to stop fermenting?

I think the issue isn't the yeast, though. I think it's the high mash temp (154 is very high for a beer you want to attenuate so much), and the two pounds of crystal. That means a more unfermentable wort, with longer chained sugars, than if you would have mashed at 148-149 and used half as much crystal. I think this beer is just about done, unfortunately.

While I see Yooper's point about potential fermentability, it strikes me as strange that after TWO WEEKS the beer was only down to 1.040. Did you make a huge starter?

I think the issue isn't the yeast, though. I think it's the high mash temp (154 is very high for a beer you want to attenuate so much), and the two pounds of crystal. That means a more unfermentable wort, with longer chained sugars, than if you would have mashed at 148-149 and used half as much crystal. I think this beer is just about done, unfortunately.

IMO, a tripel shouldn't have any crystal....just pils malt and sugar. If it has anything else, it's something other than a tripel. I mash tripels at 146-148 for 90 min. Using WY3787 I usually get 85-90% AA.

you could add an enzyme and give it a lot of time. Beano will break down any dextrines and make them more fermentable. Time is required since the yeast is not very active at this stage in the process. Warmer temps may help get the yeast working again.

This may salvage the beer but I would not expect it to be a fantastic beer. but who knows it may turn out great.

next time... mash lower, less (or no) crystal, pitch the proper amounts of healthy yeast, oxygenate your wort and properly manage your fermentation temps. Nothing sucks more then a sweet thick triple.

IMO, a tripel shouldn't have any crystal....just pils malt and sugar. If it has anything else, it's something other than a tripel.
the previous BYO mag had a long article on tripels. according to them, a tripel is either 80% pils/20% sugar, or 70% pils/20% sugar/10% wheat or munich. so at least some think there is a little wiggle room for something other than pils and sugar. but certainly not crystal.

Well, I disagree n the wheat qnd/or Munich, but I'm traditional that way. To me, Westmalle is the perfct tripel. They invented the style and it's all pils and sugar.

IMO, a tripel shouldn't have any crystal....just pils malt and sugar. If it has anything else, it's something other than a tripel. I mash tripels at 146-148 for 90 min. Using WY3787 I usually get 85-90% AA.
This is a very good point. My tripels are also pils and sugar only.

If the fermentation ends and the gravity is still high for the style (whatever it might be) give it a taste. If you like it, then bottle or keg it and enjoy. If it is too sweet you could add some hop bitterness and flavor to help balance it. Try a hop tea or something where you extract some bitterness from the hops. And then maybe dry hop it. Voila, you've got some kind of Belgian DIPA.

I just bought another carboy so I can brew this weekend and give the tripel as much time as it needs. Hopefully I fare better with this Koelsch...

Piratwolf said:
it strikes me as strange that after TWO WEEKS the beer was only down to 1.040. Did you make a huge starter?

Really? This is a non-issue? No comment on the fermentation?

In almost 300gal in 18 months, I've never had a ferment where the bulk wasn't done after 5 days at the latest. Is this unusual? 'cause I feel like I'm pulling stuff outta my a$$ half the time I brew....

As Stan H. said in BLAM, with Belgian beers it's not uncommon for the last 10% of attenuation to take longer than the first 90%.

Denny said:
As Stan H. said in BLAM, with Belgian beers it's not uncommon for the last 10% of attenuation to take longer than the first 90%.

Fair enough. If you & Yooper agree, who am i to argue? Like I said, I'm real new at this.

yes but in my experience the first 90% is done in 2-3 days and the last 10% takes double that time. 2 weeks and it's about as done as it's gonna get.

I'd say in most cases with an ale yeast, if you're not down to finish gravity in 2 weeks you have a major problem with your fermentation.

Budzien, did you make a yeast starter and how old was the yeast? With such a slow fermentation I would guess that your yeast cell count was far too low and the yeast was not in good health. Like many others have said, the majority of fermentation should be complete in less than a week. And with a gravity of 1.040 that far into fermentation, it appears your yeast were struggling to get the job done.

It was a liquid yeast from my LHBS. I made a starter, but have since learned I may not have done as good a job as necessary... I used a half pound of dme in a half gallon growler for 36 hours.

Budzien said:
It was a liquid yeast from my LHBS. I made a starter, but have since learned I may not have done as good a job as necessary... I used a half pound of dme in a half gallon growler for 36 hours.

Without a stir plate you probably didn't give the yeast much time to replicate and likely underpitched

I'm adding a stir plate and oxygen tank to my wish list for fathers day.

I'm adding a stir plate and oxygen tank to my wish list for fathers day.

Both nice toys, but neither is necessary. I made perfectly fine starters for years without a stir plate. And a MixStir works just as well as an oxygen tank for a lot less money.

Back