Straight A

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchy

Reaction score
Is Straight A a sanitizer, or just a cleaner? I was told by an employee where I bought my equip that it was a sanitizer, but when I read the bag it said it is a cleanser made for brewer's. I sanitized with bleach to be safe, but still would like to know.

IIRC, it is only FDA approved as a cleaning agent. while it may have bacteriacidal properties by nature it has not been approved as a sanitizer.

Maybe they just haven't tried to get the labeling approved. Maybe it doesn't stack up.

Hey guys; I haven't been paying attention but am trying to do a better job now.

In case anyone ever comes across this topic in the future GilaMinum has it right-- there are bactericidal properties in Straight-A, but we can't afford the outlay for EPA registration. Besides, it's a great cleaner and you really can't sanitize a dirty surface, so I suggest you use it for cleaning.

On the other hand... ;-) We also make a product called One Step that is built on a material that produces hydrogen peroxide when dissolved in water. We have done a good bit off testing regarding oxygen activity as well as field testing (much of that over the past 20 years by loyal customers just like you!!). We can't legally claim that it is a sanitizer for the same reason mentioned above, but it has properties that indicate that it works. Besides, you don't have to rinse it when you use it on a clean surface as a prep for wort contact.

Hope that helps!

Rick Theiner
LOGIC, Inc.

Back