Flying Dog Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
I tried Flying Dogs Hefe about a year and a half ago and did not like it at all. This kind of scared me away from their other beers which I know it shouldn't but it did. But today at winn dixie they had a Flying Dog Snake Bite IPA that caught my eye. Labeled 6.0% alcohol, 60 IBUS. I picked up a 6 pack and that beer is pretty good, I haven't tasted anything quite like it in my young beer drinking career, I love the dogfish 60 minute but this is a whole different ball game, I can appriciate both. Anyone else triend any of Flying Dog Breweries beers?

Snake Bite IPA is awesome. The only Flying Dog beer that I've tried that I really didn't like was the tire bite golden ale ( Kolsch ) and now that I think of it, I was kind of not really feeling that well when I tried it so it might have been better than I remember.

Doggystyle Classic Pale Ale is great, Dogtoberfest is great, Old Scratch is great...

yea now that you mention it the dogtoberfest was very good, i'll look for the other two that you guys mentioned

I'm a pretty big fan and even toured their brewery last time I was in Colorado. I think they make one of the best hefeweizens in the country, but TWICE i've accidentally purchased a totally skunked sixer of the stuff, which made it some of the worst beer i've ever spent money on. I guess it doesn't have much stability, so i always check the date code when purchasing.

Kickass brewery tour, too. Very casual, and plenty of "tasting" fillups along the way.

Hey Mrfebtober maybe thats what happened to me, my hefe that i got from them did taste skunked, it was so bad it took a whole year for me just to buy a FlyingDog beer again, but that was just my stupidity. Next time I find the hefe again im going to give it another shot.

I am a big fan of the Old Scratch Amber. Good stuff if you ask me

SD

I made a list for my folks to bring back some beers from the usa after their vacation...

here's a lil something I got:

SNV30225.JPG

On my list was the mixed pak from flying dog. 2 bottles of each. Can't wait to taste them.

Been a big F.D. fan, but I heard a comment at a local package store from a 'sales associate' that even the F.D. rep doesn't like their beer... I find it hard to believe that a rep would say that, but who knows...

I think their hefe was what segued me into flavorful beer. It's still one of my favorites. Haven't had the opportunity to try their IPA, but I'm sure it's delightful. :cross:

I haven't ever tried anything besides their Porter (which i thought was kick ass) but i've been meaning to get at some of the others...so many beers so little time.

I've found all of their beers that I've tried to be at least what's I'd call 'good'. Some are excellent, but even the ones that weren't classic examples of a style were still quite good.

I just toured their brewery here in Frederick on Saturday. I've been drinking them off and on since they took over Wild Goose, but only four of their beers are in wide distribution 'round here. It was great to be able to try the other recipes.

The porter is very good, but my absolute favorite by a long stride was their Marzen.

The tour was ok... the tasting room was more enjoyable. Found out they're retaining four of the Wild Goose recipes under the old label, as they are more "traditional" rather than Flying Dog's "aggressive" flavors.

Also found out that they've closed down the Colorado brewery entirely... they're only brewing here in Maryland now.

I have both the Road Dog Porter and the Imperial Porter in my fridge now. The Road Dog Porter is definitely seeing favor.

My all time most liked beer of the FD lineup is the Double Dog. Yummy.

Damn I didn't know the brewery was in Frederick, I did a shut down at the Dickerson Power Plant a few months ago, I was up there for about 7 weeks and loved it. Such a pretty place to be, I went to the barley and hops, and brewers alley plus about 5 other different bars on market street. It was the first time that I had in house brewed beer at a bar. Im scheduled to go back in a month or so, I am definitely taking a flying dog brewery tour when we go back.

I love Flying Dog. A beer company with ties to Ralph Steadman and Hunter S. Thompson? Good stuff.

I have Snake Dog IPA in my fridge right now, and it's great! I haven't heard of the "Snake Bite IPA" though. Sounds a little more mild than the Snake Dog, which is a 7.1% beer. I have also tried the Doggystle Pale Ale, which was great, and the Gonzo Imperial Porter, which I didn't like quite as much. It was good, but I'd prefer one of their hoppier beers.

I STILL have not found the Hefe. They sell some of their beers at my local Albertsons, but not that one.

I went to the barley and hops, and brewers alley plus about 5 other different bars on market street.

I was at Brewer's Alley on Monday. Their beers are always pretty reliable, though the food there was hit-and-miss. I've had Brewer's Alley beer at a Keys game before, and knew they were pretty tight.

Barley and Hops is a place I'd like to go, but the one time I went there, they treated me like I was a subclass. The white linens and the extreme prices made the place seem like it was trying to be way over the heads of the average brewpub customer. The waitress was kind of uptight. All-in-all, very bad impression. I don't intend to return. However, I've had their beer at Oktoberfest at the Frederick Fairgrounds, and it was pretty good stuff!

Barley and Hops is a place I'd like to go, but the one time I went there, they treated me like I was a subclass.

Barley and Hops was one of my favorite places to until Maryland passed the smoking ban and Barley and Hops went non-smoking earlier than they needed to. Then, a few weeks later, they were bought by a bigger company and the atmosphere began changing.

It went from a bar with half-decent beer to a "family" restaurant, complete with kids sitting at the bar and screaming. Prices went up, dress codes changed and the place lost just about all of it's excitement. The last good thing they had going for them was $6 growler fills on Tuesdays. They might still have them. But Barley and Hops is a far cry from what it used to be, when it was filled with Homebrewer Spirit (Bob Frank is a "founding member" according to a plaque on the wall and he's the owner of Flying Barrel, my LHBS).

It's sad. I hate to see brewpubs turn to suck but luckily there's a few of them in Frederick and Brewer's Alley has cheap beer just about every day and is within walking distance of my cupboard (it's too confining for me to call it an apartment any longer).

It sure seems to have taken a header... Snotty attitudes are something I just don't have time for.

Conversely, we had very good service at Brewer's Alley. I just wish it wasn't too far a drive for me to stop in from time to time.

I used to go to Growler's in Gaithersburg when I lived down in MoCo, but their beer has been slowly dropping off in quality.

I do love to visit Flying Barrel from time to time. That place has a great vibe... very relaxed, and I've always gotten good help and advice there. Don't know if I've ever met Bob, though.

Hey Kevin and JPSLOAN since you guys are from right around there, next time I come up to overhaul the dickerson generating station I'll have to get up with yall so I'll have some company the next time I do the market street crawl. I was alright last time till i made it to some little indian joint with 4' tall water bongs on the table. It might have just been tobacco but damn after about 20 beers it had me light headed. I stood up and the room wasn't spinning horizontally, it was spinning vertically. lol. Nice to meet some brewers from Frederick.

Yep... let us know next time you're coming up... we'll have to take an afternoon and hit the Brewer's Alley.

Back