Rhizomes Shipped - Plant in Pot or Ground?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got notice that my hops are being shipped. Up until a week ago I had planned on planting them in some containers I have on hand, however I had to cut down a tree and there is now space to put them in the ground. This place has good sunlight, so that is not a concern. Anybody have opinions on the preferred way to go? Unless there are big benefits to planting them in the ground, I will go with the container so that I have more flexibility and control.

Hops have a massive nutrient and water need and as such their roots go deep into the ground so with that in mind I would say it is better to let them be in the ground or you will have to do a lot more work with fertilization and watering. My hops are now nicely established and really do not require too much attention. I put down some fertilizer for them when I fertilize my veggies and water if it gets dry in the summer but otherwise pretty much let them be. The first few years I was much more vigilant as they did not have a developed root system then and honestly I'm too lazy to keep putting that much effort in year over year like I would if I had them potted. So that is my perspective...fast growing plants are just better suited for the ground.

Last year was my first year and my potted fuggle did the best grew to about 10 feet and only a few hops. I planted centennial, cascade, and willemete in the ground and they didn't do so well. A local grower told me the hops in the ground were probably using their energy to develop their root system while the potted plant had no where to go but up. Containers with holes in the bottom is my advice if you use them.

The preferred way to go is ground. Pots are ornamental and temporary and heat sensitive to direct sunlight. Pots are great when young but end up dwarfing after a while.

Thanks for the responses. I'm gonna go with the given advice and plant the hops in the ground. Hoping the neighbors enjoy having some magnum and centennial vines creeping on our shared fence.

I am planting the rooted cuttings from The Thyme Garden- they are going to experience some pretty decent Southern California heat this summer so I will update on how things go.

Back