Question about foam on cider batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loki008

Reaction score
I am making a cranberry apple cider based off of a recipe i came across on here. Basically its 5gal of apple juice, 5lbs of sugar, and a cranberry sauce made with 12oz cranberries, 1 cup of water and 1 cup sugar boiled for 5 minutes before adding. The yeast is Nottingham. It is about 6 days into primary and i am noticing that there are 2 types of foam forming. Is this an infection or something to do with the cranberries?

imag0234t.jpg

Hopefully its not too much to worry about but i figured i would ask and address it now if its something that needs to be addressed.

Thanks

It actually looks pretty normal to me. Looks like a really vigorous fermentation with a beer-like krausen.

How long has it been in there like this? If the fermentation took off pretty quickly I wouldn't worry about an infection.

It actually looks pretty normal to me. Looks like a really vigorous fermentation with a beer-like krausen.

How long has it been in there like this? If the fermentation took off pretty quickly I wouldn't worry about an infection.

It took off pretty quickly. I was getting bubbles on the side with in a few hours and by next morning the air lock was showing activity. It was getting to the point where it was blowing through the air lock and there was a day or 2 where i was changing the air lock once or twice a day. This started to form after it calmed down. I am still new to this and this is the first batch that had done the 2 tone foam and i was a bit concerned that i had a film yeast infection or something.

Back